Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 22 and have loved dogs all my life. We had a labrador since I was 3 who sadly passed away when I was a teenager and my parents never wanted to commit to another pup. Now that I'm older, having my own dog has become a possibility. I'll explain my situation a bit first - I do currently live at home with my parents, and in around a year I will be moving out to go to university as a mature student. I won't be doing the typical mad student thing, don't drink and will be working part time. My course only involves a few hours of lectures and seminars per week so even though I will be studying and working part time, I won't be out of the house for hours on end. I'll also be sharing a house (with people and a landlord who are all happy with a dog living there of course!) so there will be people around lots of the day.

Living with my parents for this year is fine too as they are retired and around a lot of the time, I do work full time. They also have 2 cats.

I feel really strongly about having a dog.. I don't know what it is but I do feel genuinely passionate about it and as I am never going to be a stay at home mum or have a job where I can bring a dog with me, I kind of feel that if not now then when is a good time?

I would most likely adopt rather than get a puppy, and from research can see that a greyhound might be suitable as they need less exercise than other breeds and are usually okay being left at home for a few hours (but obviously I would try and keep the time it's alone to a minimum)

Can anyone give me advice? Any would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The question of whether a person should get a dog is a question that can only be answered by that person, IMO. :) Greyhounds can be awesome pets and I believe there's a few people on here with Greyhounds. My Rough Collie is similar regarding exercise and she's happy sleeping all day too. Rough Collies are known for that. I'd do more research on breeds and I'd look at rescues and breeders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Tibetan Spaniel thrives in that sort of situation. I adopted him as an adult, based mostly on his foster family and their opinion of his temperament, without knowing a lot about the breed but after doing some research he fits the breed standard to a T. Aloof, happy, intelligent, independent. He does really well on his own, and unless forced, won't go out more than 3-4 times a day at most. I work 9 hour days 4 days a week and Rocky could not care less. I was able to bring him to work with me for a while and he didn't seem to care either way, so he now stays at home, he sleeps so much he can do that anywhere. Only issue with the breed being I keep his coat in a puppy cut because he requires a lot of brushing otherwise. I would say going the foster based rescue route could be great and allow you to get a dog you know has the right temperament for that lifestyle since the foster family can fill you in on how the dogs day to day life and attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Two years ago, I adopted a wonderful older dog from a shelter. He's a Pekingese-Shih Tzu mix, and now about ten years old. He takes two leisurely walks a day, and he has another bathroom break in the evening. He had a bit of separation anxiety at first, but now he's fine with being left alone during the day. He sleeps a lot of the time, but he is a most wonderful companion.

I would also recommend that you go through a rescue group that fosters its dogs with families. That will give you a better sense of a prospective dog's personality than going to an impersonal shelter. I'd also suggest that you look for a dog that's at least three years old. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts