Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been massive outbreaks of Parvo & rabies in South Africa. Dogs are dying left right and center. It's absolutely horrible!

Now I want to know just how safe are the poopsies? They've both been vaccinated against parvo & rabies 3 times. 1st shots were done by the spca, then the 2nd and 3rd by me by the vet.

They had their shots again in September, they got the Nobivac DHPPI & rabies.

I've also been hearing stories that there's some new strain and vaccinated dogs are getting parvo but much worse because they were vaccinated?

I don't take them to parks or strange places, but I have been doing a ton of home checks for one of the rescues I volunteer for and I don't exactly want to bring anything home they poopsies can catch.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I should probably be a little more detailed in my reply. How old are the Poopsie's? Adult dogs are a lot less susceptible to parvo than pups. Having had three sets of shots, the poopsies should be fully protected. But it never hurts to be extra careful. Wash your hands thoroughly before you touch your own dogs and just make sure you don't have poop say on your shoes or somewhere that can transfer to your doggies or somewhere they have access too like your yard -if you have one. Hopefully the people you're doing home checks on are the sort who have clean yards and vaccinated dogs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We definitely need to know the ages of your dogs… if they are 12 weeks old and had 10 vaccines, that still is not enough… last vaccines as puppies have to be at or just around 16 weeks of age, or they are still at risk.

You only need to wash your hands if you have touched a parvo positive dog, or picked up stool with your bare hands. Not stepping in stool is obviously important, too.. .but not taking your puppies about where any poop HAS BEEN that could have been from a parvo dog is also important, if these are not fully vaccinated puppies… if they are adults and have had multiple vaccines, then very little to worry about (as long as one of those vaccines was a booster of a previous one… in other words, just a month after the first one).

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
It sounds like they're fully vaccinated and up to date, so that's really all you can do. If it's a different strain, being vaccinated isn't going to cause harm. But unfortunately there's nothing you can do to stop it. I would talk to your local vets and see if they have any details on vaccinated dogs becoming ill....Or whether it is a different strain. I've had adult, vaccinated dogs around parvo pups and have never had an issue. It was never a worry.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should probably be a little more detailed in my reply. How old are the Poopsie's? Adult dogs are a lot less susceptible to parvo than pups. Having had three sets of shots, the poopsies should be fully protected. But it never hurts to be extra careful. Wash your hands thoroughly before you touch your own dogs and just make sure you don't have poop say on your shoes or somewhere that can transfer to your doggies or somewhere they have access too like your yard -if you have one. Hopefully the people you're doing home checks on are the sort who have clean yards and vaccinated dogs.
The poopsies are around 3 and 4 years old. So I know they are low risk thankfully! But having heard these stories of adults who have been vaccinated getting parvo scares me to death.

Most people have actually been very good. I've only had one home check where I was like "wow, this is NOT suitable". And obviously all our rescues are vaccinated and steri'd (if in good health) before going into foster and then being rehomed.

We definitely need to know the ages of your dogs… if they are 12 weeks old and had 10 vaccines, that still is not enough… last vaccines as puppies have to be at or just around 16 weeks of age, or they are still at risk.

You only need to wash your hands if you have touched a parvo positive dog, or picked up stool with your bare hands. Not stepping in stool is obviously important, too.. .but not taking your puppies about where any poop HAS BEEN that could have been from a parvo dog is also important, if these are not fully vaccinated puppies… if they are adults and have had multiple vaccines, then very little to worry about (as long as one of those vaccines was a booster of a previous one… in other words, just a month after the first one).
They're about 3 and 4 :)

I'll have to go look at their vet books to see if they got their boosters. I know Leesi did but I'm nor sure about Faye. I would have taken her for her booster and I'm sure the vet would have mentioned it again but I'll double check.

It sounds like they're fully vaccinated and up to date, so that's really all you can do. If it's a different strain, being vaccinated isn't going to cause harm. But unfortunately there's nothing you can do to stop it. I would talk to your local vets and see if they have any details on vaccinated dogs becoming ill....Or whether it is a different strain. I've had adult, vaccinated dogs around parvo pups and have never had an issue. It was never a worry.
Thanks Tigger, I'll ask the vet next time I'm there if they've had any cases recently.

Paranoid mama is back in full swing. Poor Leesi had a horrible rash a month ago, an allergic reaction to something. She was on cortisone and antibiotics for 10 days!!!! Vet said she has never seen a case as severe as Leesi's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts