Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

So Levi's best buddy is an English Mastiff mix (we actually think she might be more bull-mastiff), who is almost two. Her rear right leg has been bothering her for a while, and the other day she came up lame on her back left leg. They got her in for X-rays today, and it turns out she has a partially torn crucial ligament in both knees! :(

The cost for surgery is approximately $4,000 per knee, and my friend's don't have pet insurance. Obviously this news is very new, so they are trying to figure out what to do, but they just don't have that kind of money.

I was wondering if anyone had any information or papers/research on alternative treatments?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sad news. It does provide a cautionary tale for those who are not financially well off and who don't have pet insurance. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Have them shop around. I don't have pet insurance either, and our previous dog needed one knee done--successful. I don't recall it being that phenomenally expensive. Farm/rural vets -a vet that also does livestock--often charge much less than city vets-- just one thought.
Best wishes to your friend & dog.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Theres a new surgery called TTA Rapid that fixes a torn cruciate! Chewy just had it done at it was $1,500

Still pricy but MUCH cheaper that 4 grand!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts