1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start. :)

Rescued Alexandrine named Lexie

Lexie again

Charlie the Amazon enjoying a chicken wing (no...Its not cannibalism, lol)

Charlie eye-balling my sandwich

Clover the Quaker (Only good picture I can find, she recently went through a plucking episode due to someone else causing her stress)

Bubba (Blue and gold Macaw) First time home:

Bubba all grown up

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
aww they are sooo cute! my brother used to have an alexandrian named tarzan, but his ex girlfriend stole him! and a blue and gold....they're all cute! great to rescue them, parrots in the wrong hands make me so sad....:(

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
you have the same office chair I do...it looks in just as good of shape! LOL

I'll get magic pics up in a minute...

Iam VERY jealous that you have a B&G.

I see they are flighted...do you do any outside flight with a harness? I plan too once Magics butcher job of a wing clip grows out..they clipped ALL his wing feathers.

I think this thread and the meow thread deserve a sticky.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
you have the same office chair I do...it looks in just as good of shape! LOL

I'll get magic picks up in a minute...

Iam VERY jealous that you have a B&G.

I see they are flighted...do you do any outside flight with a harness? I plan too once Magics butcher job of a wing clip grows out..they clipped ALL his wing feathers.

I think this thread and the meow thread deserve a sticky.
I have had that chair for about 10 years, lol. I will replace it when the wheels fall off.

The Alex is flighted and Charlie is also, I had to do a partial clip on Bubba and Clover. Clover because she was in a crazy phase from stress and was bouncing off walls, and Bubba because Macaws can get enough speed in a few feet to break their necks. The clip I use is my own and allows them horizontal flight but no lift. It also slows them down enough to prevent them being hurt. Lexie has no desire to leave her cage. She is 12 or 13 years old, and I think I am the only one to ever let her out on a regular basis. Clover rides around on my shoulder grooming my beard when I have one. Bubba will usually glide to the floor and follow me around the house, Once he thought my toe was a peanut and I got a wakeup without my coffee. Charlie is of breeding age so he is a temperamental jerk right now (seems to be when his hormones are up). He has been mating with one of his perches in the mornings, and has shown extremely aggressive behavior the last few weeks. When he is calm he comes out but shows no interest in going outside. He just likes to sit on his play gym and look out the windows. If I bring him outside he freaks out and makes every effort to get back in the house.

I am very careful about having my birds outside and in flight there. We have eagles, hawks, and falcons in this area. The ones that are fully flighted will periodically fly from cage to cage or to me when they are hungry.

You Too sounds like a pet store clip or an inexperience bird doc clip.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Gotcha :)

The risk of birds or prey is very low here so Magic comes outside on a regular basis...likes to be on the ground...which I hear is a cockatoo thing...he's rather walk around than do anything else. I don't think he has ever been flighted so it should get interesting in a few months.

aren't bird hormones wonderful?

heres a link to magics album...tho I think they are the same pics...I don't have any on this computer...

Peticure/PediPaws review

I never realized how long the tails are on Alexandrines'...I haven't seen many in person.

ETA: does this count???

I think I'll stick to these from now on. Less hormonal and no finger severing bites.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I never realized how long the tails are on Alexandrines'...I haven't seen many in person.
Yep...and they are one of the best smaller birds to have. There has been a lot of hybridization between the Indian ringnecks and the alexs going on so a pure alexandrine may get even harder to find. People generally freak out when I tell them she is classified as a parakeet. Then they ask how she got so big, I just laugh. They are very serious birds and prefer to sit and look pretty then be mauled by gawking people. Might be why they are not as popular and the Quakers, which are complete hams around people.

You have a very healthy looking Too. They are ground foragers, and anyone for Australian can tell you they darken the skies there. She may only run and not make any attempt to fly because she knows her wings are clipped. The worse clip I have seen are the ones that leave the last end feather in tact. It is called a beauty clip and makes the bird think it can still fly, causing them to fall and hurt themselves regularly.

If you want to harness your Too, start working with him now so he gets use to the harness. He will not want the harness on and he has enough power in his beak to take off a finger. Get him use to it slowly and then send your irritating neighbor in to put it on him, just in case, lol.

Sure they count, Birds are birds. :)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aww they are sooo cute! my brother used to have an alexandrian named tarzan, but his ex girlfriend stole him! and a blue and gold....they're all cute! great to rescue them, parrots in the wrong hands make me so sad....:(
Thanks Fawkese

Wow, I think I would have hunted her down. Especially if she didn't have any business taking them.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
(I agree Crio-this and meow should be stick!!)

OMG I have to ask you ten million questions about your Macaw!!

How hard was it for you to find one as a baby-and approx cost. How do you find his personality is? How long do they live? Awww just tell me everything!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Thanks Fawkese

Wow, I think I would have hunted her down. Especially if she didn't have any business taking them.
yeah, i'm not sure who should've had them(he actually had 3 that she took)...i mean, i love my brother, but when the novelty wore off, he wouldn't have done much with them....on the other hand, i have nothing nice to say about that girl...at all...but that kind of talk doesn't belong in this type of forum!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(I agree Crio-this and meow should be stick!!)

OMG I have to ask you ten million questions about your Macaw!!

How hard was it for you to find one as a baby-and approx cost. How do you find his personality is? How long do they live? Awww just tell me everything!!
There is a breeder near here. The larger macaws will generally have 2 eggs a clutch, and the good breeders will only allow their hens to have 2 clutches a year. Stay away from a scarlet Macaw unless you are extremely experienced with large hookbills (very aggressive nature). If you like the red feathers, the greenwing is a better choice.

Most Blue and Golds do not end up at rescues, or abandoned. Bubba was not a rescue and cost about $700 with me finishing out the handfeeding, and $1500 if the breeder had finishing him out. Handfeeding is extremely risky to the bird and should only be done by someone with experience or a mentor near to show you the proper way. The 100 year old parrot is a myth, but he will probably life to be 50 or 60 years old. Temperament depends on his mood, and if I have made him mad. Imagine a 5 year old child and how they act; that is a Macaw. Macaws are just as smart and get into just as much trouble as a young child. When he is in a good mood or not throwing a jealous fit over the dogs and other parrots he is the most loving little guy I have. I have personally seen him snap a brazil nut in half with one bite. He can take off a finger, and if his beak was as big as a scarlet Macaw he could separate your hand from your wrist. With that being said, These wonderful guys are not to be taken lightly. The B&G's are more of a flock bird so they accept everyone in the house as part of their flock, which makes them better for a family type situation.

These birds will defend you when you are in trouble, cause you to get so irritated that you have to walk away, and allow you to become their best friend. All this takes years of trust and love. They are not a pet, they are a full time companion animal that takes a lot of work.

Watch this video at youtube. This is an African gray that was studied at Harvard (I believe) You will see the intelligence in these larger Parrots through him. Listen to him, you may have to watch it a few times, but he knows what he is saying and is not just trained to respond for tricks.

YouTube - Alex The Talking Parrot

Feel free to ask more questions, I would rather inform people right away then have them learn the hard way.:)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i luv alex the parrot!!!!!one of the reasons i like parrots so much....

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
being the training nut Iam ....Iam fascinated by Dr.Pepperburgs training methods...

i luv alex the parrot!!!!!one of the reasons i like parrots so much....

have you read Alex and Me yet? Its really really good.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here ya go Mikey. This is a good picture of Bubba on a good day. Him and Cleo were waiting for breakfast. The parrots were getting scrambled Eggs this day, and Cleo was waiting for something to drop (she is on a diet since her thyroid shut down.) They even follow me around the house side by side sometimes. :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
being the training nut Iam ....Iam fascinated by Dr.Pepperburgs training methods...

have you read Alex and Me yet? Its really really good.
no i haven't but i'm about to add it to my amazon wish list...if i don't find it at the library first.....

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
you will cry....a bunch of times...just warning you! :p

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
thanks for the warning (i'm the biggest cry baby i know...) i'll keep some tissue handy...:)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
This is when I decided I loved Macaw's (Me in Xel-ha, Mexico-awful pic of me!!)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think thats the coolest thing Ive ever seen.

How many people can say they've worn FIVE birds!

i like how the birds are watching the camera..'cept the blinker.

There are amazon parrots that are wild here...haven't seen them lately tho...noisy buggers.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I have a kissed by dolphin pic too ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mikey...That is a cool pic. The one on your head is a Mexican redheaded Amazon. We have a huge wild colony of those south of here. The two macaws in the front are Greenwings (of a hybrid of some kind), and the two in the back are Scarlets. Not to make you think at all, but I wonder how many ears those Scarlets have taken off. :D

1 - 20 of 105 Posts