Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do alot of parents willingly let there kids run up to strange dogs? I dont get how incredibly irresponsible some parents are when it comes to kids and dogs. And people wonder why so many kids getting bitten or killed.
Today i had a little kid say to his dad i want to pat the dog. The dad didnt care the kid came running up. It didnt matter that i had a collar on that says nervous. I called out dont pat the dog. He came closer and i sad no you cant pat the dog. My dog growled at the kid then the kid finaly got the message to turn around.
Ive had so many times where my dog and myself have been quitely sitting down in a park and a little kid comes bolting up and the parents yells out he or she just wants to pat your dog.
20200505_182626.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
It makes me quite cross too. I find shouting ”the dog has really bad fleas” helps focus the parents. And people who have space invader dogs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
@Beardogjesse dont get me started.... A childminder in my street is the worst she lets the children in her care run riot. When Murphy was only 18months they came running down the street screaming like banshees waving their arms and various bits of of sport equipment and shocked Murphy who barked. One of the children stopped looked at Murphy and said horrible dog.. I patted Murphy and said . Horrible children..
The childminder was shocked and was about to say something but I cut her off... IF those children have no manners at the age of 7 or 8 why do you expect my dog to be perfect at only 18months I asked.. Her mouth dropped open then closed like a spring trap and she stomped off.

Joggers are another group.. If we see joggers we step aside we give them space ,, but some run silently up behind you they make no noise on sandy trails of the forest like this morning, a quick hello as he approached would have been enough but no he ran up silently and then wondered why Murphy reacted, well Murphy does not know about jogging for sport he just sees a strange man running up behind his human and he moves in to protect.. We have the dogs on leads and still people do not get the message that a dog on a lead should be given space.

Humans,,, so darn frustrating.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It makes me quite cross too. I find shouting ”the dog has really bad fleas” helps focus the parents. And people who have space invader dogs.
You just gave me a funny idea i should start saying my dog has headlice. That should make them run a mile away

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Beardogjesse dont get me started.... A childminder in my street is the worst she lets the children in her care run riot. When Murphy was only 18months they came running down the street screaming like banshees waving their arms and various bits of of sport equipment and shocked Murphy who barked. One of the children stopped looked at Murphy and said horrible dog.. I patted Murphy and said . Horrible children..
The childminder was shocked and was about to say something but I cut her off... IF those children have no manners at the age of 7 or 8 why do you expect my dog to be perfect at only 18months I asked.. Her mouth dropped open then closed like a spring trap and she stomped off.

Joggers are another group.. If we see joggers we step aside we give them space ,, but some run silently up behind you they make no noise on sandy trails of the forest like this morning, a quick hello as he approached would have been enough but no he ran up silently and then wondered why Murphy reacted, well Murphy does not know about jogging for sport he just sees a strange man running up behind his human and he moves in to protect.. We have the dogs on leads and still people do not get the message that a dog on a lead should be given space.

Good boy murphy :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Last year I took one of my dogs to a gathering of a lot of people. All the kids were told by the parents to ask before patting anybodies dogs. (a lot of people bring their dogs.) I had no problems and my dog is good with children but I felt sorry for one little boy as he walked towards a man who had a Border Collie to ask him to pat his dog but before he could even ask, the dog flew at him and bit his hand. The owner of the dog should have had better control over his dog!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dog lungebarked at a child who quickly beelined for a pat even though i said to child and parents do not pat. I never will but one day i should go up to parents and pat there kids and see if the kids get scared. I think thats the only way parents are going to learn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts