Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question and i just need some opinions.

I recently adopted a ten-month old boston terrier who is quite active. He was neutered this past monday and has worn an e-collar since, and they told me i could take it off today. He has not been much bothered by the incision since he was neutered, but he is a hyper little guy and gets a little carried away when he is playing with our other dog.

I came home from work tonight, and he was playing kind of hard (which i did my best to stop, eventually i had to let the other dog outside). Now the puppy does not appear to be in any pain, or even know that his balls are gone (lol) but i just noticed that there is a little bit of bleeding from the incision. The sutures do not appear to be ripped and he has not been licking it or appear to be in any sort of discomfort, but the incision is swollen. In fact, the only way i realized he was bleeding was that there was a bit of blood on his thigh, but he hasn't bled onto any furniture or the floor.

Now, the issue is that the clinic that neutered him is not open on sundays (it is just a spay/neuter clinic next door to a local animal shelter). Since he was only neutered five days ago, is swelling/minimal bleeding normal? I do not know whether or not i could wait until Monday to take him back to the clinic or if I should find a local vet to look at him tomorrow.

Sorry for such a long post, but if I can save some money and wait it out, that's great -- the clinic fixes sutures for just $20. Am I being too paranoid or do I need to nip this in the bud first thing tomorrow?

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's a tough one. When my min-pin mix was spayed, I was also very concerned about her incisions. There was some swelling and a little bleeding, but nothing incredibly disturbing. You will want to keep a close eye out for infection: is the area around the incisions abnormally warm to the touch? Is there any oozing or discoloration around the incisions? Monitor them closely for negative changes - increased swelling, additional bleeding or oozing. If you see any of these symptoms, I would call a vet immediately- they will probably want to get the dog on antibiotics. Otherwise, keep the pup calm and relaxed and call the vet as soon as they open on Monday as a precaution.

And this part is important - while you are out of the house, crate the dog so that he can't get into trouble while unsupervised. Even if he hasn't damaged the incisions yet by playing too rough, that doesn't mean it's not possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Slight inflammation and bleeding is normal. Keep an eye out for infection like previously mentioned.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey gys, thanks for replying. Dank woke up this morning and his incision looks MUCH better. In fact, later last night i noticed the bleeding had stopped and a scab had formed. His incision is less swollen and he hasn't started bleeding again. We do keep him in a crate when neither of us (my boyfriend nor i) is around, because he definitely is still all puppy ;-). Thankfully however, i do not have to work today so I can keep an extra close eye on him. It is just so hard to get him to chill out usually, he damn near does backflips when i mention the word 'outside,' or 'backyard.' He would make an excellent agility dog when this is all over if he can keep himself together lol.

Thanks again, guys :) Dank thanks you too :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts