Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I hope that someone will be able to help me. I have had my puppy for a month and a half now, and I am struggling to train him to go onto the newspapers. At first I made him a little "camp" inside the house, with his newspapers on the one side, and his bed and toys on the other side. Everything was going good, then I decided to let him come out, and kept the newspapers on the same spot everyday, but now he seems to go onto the newspapers less and less... I don't know what to do anymore, I have put his nose into it, and told him bad boy, I have lightly spanked him with a newspaper, but nothing seems to work. The big problem is that i am not at home 24/7, I am a student and have to go to classes during the day. What can I do to learn my puppy to do his business on the newspapers? :confused: He seems to go wherever he is, and it is stinking up my whole flat.:rulez:
I hope someone can help....Please...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hi everyone
I hope that someone will be able to help me. I have had my puppy for a month and a half now, and I am struggling to train him to go onto the newspapers. At first I made him a little "camp" inside the house, with his newspapers on the one side, and his bed and toys on the other side. Everything was going good, then I decided to let him come out, and kept the newspapers on the same spot everyday, but now he seems to go onto the newspapers less and less... I don't know what to do anymore, I have put his nose into it, and told him bad boy, I have lightly spanked him with a newspaper, but nothing seems to work. The big problem is that i am not at home 24/7, I am a student and have to go to classes during the day. What can I do to learn my puppy to do his business on the newspapers? :confused: He seems to go wherever he is, and it is stinking up my whole flat.:rulez:
I hope someone can help....Please...
You are asking him to go on newspaper, then you are hitting him with the same thing?... This is not working because of what you are doing to be honest. Do NOT swat him, rub his nose in it, hit him with things, etc. Instead when he starts to go somewhere other than where you want him to go, simply pick him up, put him in the right spot and give him love and treats. Also I would consider switching to puppy pads not newspaper, the crinkling sound may bother the pup. Also he is still super young I take it, they need time.

Also when you are punishing him he thinks going potty is a bad thing...so he will only begin going potty away from you in hidden corners and areas where you are not present.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice, I will try it. I am just not sure if I will be able to find puppy pads here, I live in South Africa, but I will be looking for it though. I will also keep you posted.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thank you for your advice, I will try it. I am just not sure if I will be able to find puppy pads here, I live in South Africa, but I will be looking for it though. I will also keep you posted.
Thanks again.
If you cant find puppy pads continue with the newspaper, I am sure your little baby will get used to it :)

and yes VERY VERY CUTE!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also live in South Africa... I found Puppy Pads in Pet Warehouse in Kenilworth (Near Cape Town)... Try asking any Vet shop, they would point you in the right direction. Be prepared to pay R100 for about 10 pads though... bit more expensive than newspaper :p But the absorbency of the pads is great, the puppy do not end up with wet feet :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts