Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

Over ten years ago I owned a Papillon who very very sadly passed away from pancreatic cancer at only 6 years old. Initial research indicated there is no known cause for pancreatic cancer, but that it mainly affects older dogs.

Since then I have experienced a lot of guilt and questioning around the issues. I have struggled to find reasons or an explanation and have worried a lot about my quality of care as a caregiver for him. I smoked when I owned him and have often worried this was connected. However yesterday I suddenly had a bit of a realisation that I am convinced is the actuality; I believe it may have been linked to the flea drops I put on him.

My sweet dog used to get fleas quite chronically and, as I shared a house, I was really nervous about them. I therefore used those flea drops frequently sometimes (I am so unspeakably devastated to admit as I NEVER imagined it would actually do any harm) more than the recommended frequency. I think I just figured ti would be fine as the recommended dose was sometimes not enough to kill them and it prevented the other people I lived with from kicking us both out! The thought that this was linked is torturing me with guilt now, but the more I read about the poss links between flea meds and poisioing (he had a very healthy life otherwise really) the more I am convinced this is the reality.

I am therefore posting this not really to see if anyone else has heard of a simlar link (though I would of course be interested to know) but just as a WARNING in case I can save even one other dogs life. If you do NEED to use flea drops please be very VERY careful and certainly use under the recommended dosage. I feel so mind numbingly dreadful but figure if I can devote myself to making my theory known at least possibly maybe some awareness can be raised.

Thank you so much for reading.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It should get better with time. Don't spend too much time on it, just live and learn. I had a cat diagnosed with vaccine associated fibrosarcoma. The diagnosis left me in shock knowing my regular vet visits killed my cat. Now though I know more about limiting vaccines and injection spot information to help future cats not be afflicted with same condition.

With that said, there are a number of organic methods to combat fleas. Possibly look into promoting those over the drops altogether.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I don't know much about a connection between pancreatic cancer and flea preventatives, but the topicals are by definition insecticides, and need to be used with knowledge, care and restraint. There are certainly other factors, such as diet, that are not well or widely understood and could be involved with pancreatic cancer.

That said, I'm sure your dog had a wonderful life, and was truly loved, so please don't beat yourself up anymore. You did the best you could for him, with the knowledge that you had at the time.

FWIW--here's info on the diet connection:
http://www.caninecancerdiet.com/pancreatic-cancer-in-dogs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts