Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dog sitting a friends dog for about 4 months now. I also have 3 dogs. So my question is "Will this dog be ok when she leaves my house to live alone with her owner?" Or is it too late? My boyfriend says we might have to adopt her for good because she wont be able to survive now without her "pact" Is this true? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
While the dog may attach to you and your dogs, it doesn't mean you will need to adopt the dog just because she enjoys the company of your lot. (Also wouldn't that be up to the owner?)

Cosmo lives with me but my grandma watches him while I'm at work. During this time, he plays with their dog and she's the only dog he's really comfortable playing with. She was gone for a week last week and he was fine, just calmer and less of a spaz in the house is all. He didn't seem any different. I'm sure you won't have any issues!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be up to the owner. But the owner hasn't stopped by to even see her in over two months. I think he forgot that we were taking care of her while he gets settled into a new place.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Dogs aren't pack animals. They are social animals and I'm sure the dog is enjoying having other dogs around. They also enjoy having humans around. :) They don't need to live with other dogs to be happy.

The bigger question is why the owner seems to have abandoned the dog. What happens if this dog gets sick or is injured? What happens if this dog were to bite someone and you get sued? Just a few things that came to mind. Maybe this is a close friend and you know things will be okay if something happens. Hope so for your sake

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Dogs, unlike wolves, are quite flexible in a social sense. It's for this reason that we can foster or re-home dogs with little long-term consequence to the dog. Certainly, it is stressful for the dog but they are usually able to fully settle in with their new "family" after about 3 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts