Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I have two new dogs (Long Haired Chihuahuas) added to my "pack" of three this past April( Now total of 5 :D. Brother and sister are a year old. They have growled at my 26 year old son since day one and won't go near him. Other than their behavior with him, they are gentle and loving toward me and anyone else they meet. He says it's the dogs problem; I say it is him. Dogs are a pretty good judge of character. What's your spin on it?"

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Really very difficult to say exactly what's going on based on what you wrote and not seeing interaction in person, but it's likely something about your son, something he is doing (even if unintentionally), or a past bad experience with your son has caused them to be uncomfortable with him.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
First, it very much doubt it has anything to do with so called pack behavior.

Where did you get the new dogs? How old were they when you added them to your family?

Do they react similarly to other people? Other males? People with similar appearance or mannerisms to your son? Is there anything about your son that would make him different than other people the dogs have met? For example, does he smoke, always wear a hat, work in a location with a particular odor?

It's really hard to say without more information, but it's possible the dogs are picking up on something very subtle about your son (even his feelings towards the new dogs).

Judging by my dogs, I wouldn't say they're a good judge of character but they do notice things humans miss.

If your son is interested in changing their reaction to him, there are things he can do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts