Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ragweed season is in full season. This year ragweed is ridonkeylus, it's literally EVERYWHERE and about the same time I started with itchy eyes and sneezing, poor Ozzy started scatching. So i'm pretty convinced it's the ragweed. It's not that bad, I mean luckily he is not scratching himself raw, but the scratching got worse so I made an appointment with the vet but couldn't get in for 2 weeks. So instead I looked up what I could do myself at home until his appointment because if anyone has a dog with allergies, they know how hard it is to watch them constantly scratching. This is what i'm trying:

1) He wears a little mesh sports tank that covers his sides, chest and belly on our walks. It's a light grey color so protects against the sun on his black coat and I wet it down on hot days so it acts like "ice silk".
Brown Outerwear White Product Black

2) Started washing his feet upon getting back from a walk. There's just no way to avoid the ragweed completely and figured washing the pollen off his feet would help not to spread it all over when he scratches.

3) I got him some bovine Colostrum. It's mother's pre milk from cows, but there's evidence it can help restore immune, caries antibodies and protection against allergen response.
Colostrum info:

At 1st I tried a vinegar solution with a dab of vanilla oil (to smell better) and placed a moistened cloth on his itchy areas. It seemed to help relieve the itch temporarily but I was only treating the symptoms, not preventing so that's why I looked at other methods. I don't really have to use the vinegar solution now.

I noticed a vast improvement! Idk if the colostrum can work that fast (it's been maybe a week), but him wearing the tank and washing his feet after walks has really helped for sure 😊

He still scatches now and then, especially in the morning (me too), but it's looking so much better to the point I cancelled his vet appointment. I really didn't like the drugs they offer anyway.

Next year I will start dosing the colostrum in late spring to hopefully build up his immune and supress histamine reaction.

I will update in a few weeks, but so far i've definitely noticed an improvement ☺

Anyone else using colostrum for allergies?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol i've totally been thinking of it! I have used honey in the past and it seemed to help as well. The last few years I thought I was growing out of my allergy, but I think the ragweed was just not ALL OVER like it is this year, cuz I'm def noticing it too. I use antihistamine eye drops for my extremely itchy eyes and deal with the sneezing and runny itchy nose. I'm trying to stay away from antihistamine tablets. Actually out of desperation, I tried Benadryl with Ozzy and it helped but that evening he was feeling nauseated and might have vomited, so although I didn't think it was the benedryl from the morning, (it would be a really rare side effect) I still won't use it again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, it looks like you've got this covered until your vet visit, and this is totally not helpful.... But once you've figured it out, I think you need to start a Doggie Health Blog and name it Ozzie's Allergies. I'd totally subscribe!! Ozzie's adorable (your profile pic?) and that tank top is The Bomb. Hope he's feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awww that's a cute idea! I will update this topic here as I see fit. So far so good. He's tolerating the colostrum well (I mix it with a drop of milk and he actually likes it). It seems to fill his tummy, I give it to him on an empty stomach in the morning and he's not that in a rush for breakfast. He still eats it just fine, I just mean he tends to rest after his colostrum in the morning like he's really satisfied.

His itching and scratching is still under control, in fact this morning he wasn't scratching as much as he had been (that's his worse time for itchies).

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's been about 17 days (I can't believe it's only been 17 days) but his allergies are almost non-existent now. I give him the bovine colostrum 1st thing in the morning at least 20 mins before breakfast on an empty stomach and IMO it seems to really be working. Albeit it's been wet and rainy here lately.

I can pet and give him a scratch without him leaning way in and squirming like he was doing. I sometimes see him scratching his chin or sides, but it's not even close to the way it was before.

I really think (in my unproffesional opinion) the colostrum is helping. It's certainly not doing any harm. I might dose our new pup with some too when she comes home. Still unsure if I'll use it for good or just an immune boost against allergies or illness.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wondered that too, but I still see ragweed around and I'm still getting itchy eyes, although a lot of it has been mowed down (on the edge of sidewalk). Idk? I read it would be an allergen until the frost, but I guess not everyone gets frost lol.

Well like I said, it's not doing any harm and I still have some, so I guess I'll continue. Maybe I'll just taper him off.

I'm pleased either way and the cost of colostrum was peanuts compared to a vet visit.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I wondered that too, but I still see ragweed around and I'm still getting itchy eyes, although a lot of it has been mowed down (on the edge of sidewalk). Idk? I read it would be an allergen until the frost, but I guess not everyone gets frost lol.

Well like I said, it's not doing any harm and I still have some, so I guess I'll continue. Maybe I'll just taper him off.

I'm pleased either way and the cost of colostrum was peanuts compared to a vet visit.
You might still see it, but hopefully most of the pollen has stopped flying.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might still see it, but hopefully most of the pollen has stopped flying.
Ok that could be, like I said it's been rainy and wet here lately. Besides mold, not much pollen flying around I guess. For dogs it seems they end up scratching with allergies, not so much runny nose/sneezing. Which makes me think it's more direct contact with the flowers on his armpits/sides and spreads the stuff on his feet when he scratches. Anyhoo, I'm very fortunate he didn't scratch himself raw and we were able to manage it. Thanks for your input 😊

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to hear Ozzy is feeling better! Allergies are so frustrating to deal with, but glad you were able to avoid a vet visit, it can get expensive really quick!!
Yes thank you 😊 We were really lucky it never got too bad. I wanted to nip it in the bud before he scratched his skin off and threatened infection. I made a vet appointment right away, but because I couldn't get in right away, I wanted to try something myself and we had time to see the method was helping enough that it wasn't an issue anymore.
I keep him out of the ragweed, I say "ohh ragweed!" and he walks away avoiding it 😂 They pick up words so quickly and he's always listening lol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts