Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Ozzy Luna
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ozzy is a dog with lots of personality but lately he has become a husk of his former self. Lately he would just whine, moan, bark, and cry for hours. It is always is because of food since he is a thicccc boy. during quarantine we spoiled him and his sis with lots of atention. However once we started, going back to school and work, he has lost it. Ozzy loves going outside and seeing people. He also loves car rides even if he doesn’t go anywhere. But lately he has had terrible limps and so he can’t go outside. I have been giving him mental stimulation games such as frezing treats in water, and hiding treats in cups, but it isn’t sustainable for the entire day.

now a days he just farts, begs, and steals from the house. He isn’t a dog anymore but instead a confused child. He goes from Room to room to room whining and complaining. He cries for hours and it’s really depressing. I really need help, he is old and I want him to be happy.

Here’s a video

some photos

·
Administrator
1,146 Posts
Ozzy is a dog with lots of personality but lately he has become a husk of his former self. Lately he would just whine, moan, bark, and cry for hours. It is always is because of food since he is a thicccc boy. during quarantine we spoiled him and his sis with lots of atention. However once we started, going back to school and work, he has lost it. Ozzy loves going outside and seeing people. He also loves car rides even if he doesn’t go anywhere. But lately he has had terrible limps and so he can’t go outside. I have been giving him mental stimulation games such as frezing treats in water, and hiding treats in cups, but it isn’t sustainable for the entire day.

now a days he just farts, begs, and steals from the house. He isn’t a dog anymore but instead a confused child. He goes from Room to room to room whining and complaining. He cries for hours and it’s really depressing. I really need help, he is old and I want him to be happy.

Here’s a video

some photos View attachment 250293 View attachment 250294 View attachment 250295
Take him to a vet, they might be able to do something about the limp (although whilst exercise would naturally have to be limited, I don't see why he can't still go for short walks, or for car rides?)

What about scattering treats around the room and asking him to find them?
Trick training?
Boredom breaks such as a frozen Kong/likkimat, or dispensing toys such as the Buster Cube or treat balls?

Edit: And if you're worried he may be depressed or "losing his mind" mention that to the vet too.

·
Registered
Ozzy Luna
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn’t he too old and stubborn to learn tricks. He can’t even roll over

·
Administrator
1,146 Posts
Isn’t he too old and stubborn to learn tricks. He can’t even roll over
Of course he's not too old! And if he's "stubborn", it's either because
1). He doesn't know what you're asking of him,
2). What you're offering as a reward isn't high enough value for him
3). He finds it difficult because of his age (so don't be expecting him to jump through hoops if he's arthritic eg)
4). You're working against a deeply ingrained instinct.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Administrator
1,146 Posts
How old is he? Could there be some canine cognitive dysfunction starting?
10. This is the same dog she wants to exercise on the treadmill.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Pay more attention to him. It doesn't matter what exactly you are doing with him, just pay more attention. Give him a stroke every time you go by. Take him for short walks if he will go. If he won't go for a walk, try luring him down the black with a nice piece of cooked chicken breast. Or some other favorite treat. Make him work for his daily food. Teach him some tricks. No, he is definitely not too old to learn tricks. Doesn't matter what you teach him, the point is to spend the time with him and give him something to do.

·
Banned
385 Posts
First, he's getting older. Second, you were with him ALL the time withib nothing to do but entertain him, and now you leave for hours on end.

Get him in to a vet and have him checked out for health issues. A limp could be a sign of a major issue which could be causing a lot of pain or even cognitive issues. If he checks out as healthy, then follow the ideas above. Make the time you are together fun for him. If he likes socializing, then take him to the park. Even if he can't walk long, you can find a shady spot to sit and visit with others.

·
Registered
Ozzy Luna
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, he's getting older. Second, you were with him ALL the time withib nothing to do but entertain him, and now you leave for hours on end.

Get him in to a vet and have him checked out for health issues. A limp could be a sign of a major issue which could be causing a lot of pain or even cognitive issues. If he checks out as healthy, then follow the ideas above. Make the time you are together fun for him. If he likes socializing, then take him to the park. Even if he can't walk long, you can find a shady spot to sit and visit with others.
I recently have been taking him and his sister to the neighbors house. Ozzy loves being there. Also we have taken him to the vet. The vet says he has joint issues because of his breed. He is a blue healer boxer mix. Mom doesn’t want to pay for surgery so he just takes medication. It’s like 4K of something like that. his limp just got worse today and I don’t know if it’s because he was playing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts