Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 1yoa standard poodle and just added an Airedale Terrier.
I could probably offer a good amount of advice on the Standard Poodle breed at this point(from trial/error and growing pains), and would welcome any advice on the Airedale breed. Also, I've never owned multiple dogs at the same time. So that's another new obstacle that I'm looking to get advice with. I've groomed the poodle from day 1. I plan on grooming the airedale as well.

My wife and I have 3 children ages 11/9/4. My oldest has severe cat allergies and minor dog allergies(no reactions to the poodle or airedale breed). We live in rural PA. I own a home with 2 acres in a quiet rural subdivision. No fenced yard. My wife is a stay at home mom, so the dogs are never alone.

I joined this forum both to share advice on what I've learned and to request advice on any challenges ahead.

Thanks for having me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm on my second standard Poodle, used as a diabetic alert dog. I lost my first one before 2 to Addison's, so I've learned about it and Cushings, as well as bloat. They are great. I've had Border Collies, regular Collies, Schnauzers and Shih Tzus in the past. All were great but none learned as fast as the poodles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I'm interested in hearing about how it's going with the Airedale pup? Would love to hear compare/contrasts of your standard poodle vs the Airedale for their first year or so!
We currently have a 7 year old and 1 year old standard poodle. Love them dearly but have been eyeing airedales for a couple of years now. The internet terrifies me on raising airedales during puppy hood! Our 1 year old st. poo was no walk in the park but she is turning into a great gal and will be taking her Canine Good Citizen test in just a month or so! Wondering if airedales are really any worse in terms of that crazy and naughty puppy behavior we all dread?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! I'm interested in hearing about how it's going with the Airedale pup? Would love to hear compare/contrasts of your standard poodle vs the Airedale for their first year or so!
We currently have a 7 year old and 1 year old standard poodle. Love them dearly but have been eyeing airedales for a couple of years now. The internet terrifies me on raising airedales during puppy hood! Our 1 year old st. poo was no walk in the park but she is turning into a great gal and will be taking her Canine Good Citizen test in just a month or so! Wondering if airedales are really any worse in terms of that crazy and naughty puppy behavior we all dread?!
Late reply, but our airedale was lunch easier as a puppy than our standard poodle. Our poodle barked quite a bit as a puppy, was a mad chewed and would just plain misbehave. Nome of that from the airedale. The two are like brothers, play well and exercise each other. Although my airedale is 100lbs, the poodle I'd the alpha. Now when I chose my airedale from the litter, he was a more submissive pup. The only one that didn't want to chew the shoes off my feet. That temperament has stuck with him. And the poodle was more on the alpha side of his litter. Both are great in their own way. Poodle more affectionate. Airedale more protective. Poodle barks at anything to alert. Airedale has no fear. Airedale does shed a little but he is much easier it clip. Hope that helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts