Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some events that happened this week leading up to the two bites...

Anal glands expressed for the first time by a new groomer (anus is still swollen and red), been staying at my friend's place with another older large dog, had a few vaccinations, and recently returned from two day trip to the mountains (12 hours in the car).

So yes, he might be a little pooped and perhaps out of his element. On both occasions I was bit when trying to bath him.

I'm over the bite and want him to know I'm over it. He's been withdrawn and curled up in a corner since the attack.

How do I get my buddy back? Please help!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Let him chill. He's stressed, in pain, away from his routine and miserable. He needs to be left alone, spoken to quietly and rewarded for any positive interactions. He'll recover.

Call the vet, his anus shouldn't be hurting him that badly.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
What @amaryllis said. Make sure to give him lots of space-stop pressing him for attention, or anything. No more stressful events for a while (look up trigger stacking). Once he's feeling better he'll come back to you :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yes, what Amaryllis said. If the anal glands are not expressed properly, they can be permanently damaged, and surgery to remove them might be necessary. Please have them checked out ASAP, as he could be in a lot of discomfort or pain. After a discussion with my vet, I would never have anal glands expressed by anyone other than a vet. FWIW, if the diet is correct, they won't need expressing. Be careful until you know he is on the mend, then give him time and he'll go back to his old self. His reaction is totally understandable at this point.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let him chill. He's stressed, in pain, away from his routine and miserable. He needs to be left alone, spoken to quietly and rewarded for any positive interactions. He'll recover.

Call the vet, his anus shouldn't be hurting him that badly.
I completely underestimated the importance of familiarity and routine for dogs. My guy has always been highly curious and energetic which led me to believe that change of scenery/surroundings/interactions wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. A LOT has happened this past week and I guess my guy is just burned out from too much stimulation.

He's back home in his favorite spot asleep but curled up in a ball :(

I guess I just have to give him his time and space and hope he comes around?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, what Amaryllis said. If the anal glands are not expressed properly, they can be permanently damaged, and surgery to remove them might be necessary. Please have them checked out ASAP, as he could be in a lot of discomfort or pain. After a discussion with my vet, I would never have anal glands expressed by anyone other than a vet. FWIW, if the diet is correct, they won't need expressing. Be careful until you know he is on the mend, then give him time and he'll go back to his old self. His reaction is totally understandable at this point.
No major changes in his bowel movements since the expression....would this rule out potential damage of his anal glands? There is a pink colored bubble that has formed on the outer surface of his anus. No blood, just a lot of licking in that area.

Can you please clarify comment "be careful until you know he is on the mend..." So wait a few days and then take him to Vet?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What @amaryllis said. Make sure to give him lots of space-stop pressing him for attention, or anything. No more stressful events for a while (look up trigger stacking). Once he's feeling better he'll come back to you :)
Extremely insightful and informative, thank you so much for your feedback. I just looked up trigger stacking on the Web and better understand why my dog did what he did. ALOT has happened to him during the last 7 days; he was muzzled by a new groomer, forced to share an unfamiliar space with an 80 lb. female alpha dog, and exposed to the new sights, sounds and smells of the California wilderness.

Thank you Kwenami!!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
No major changes in his bowel movements since the expression....would this rule out potential damage of his anal glands? There is a pink colored bubble that has formed on the outer surface of his anus. No blood, just a lot of licking in that area.

Can you please clarify comment "be careful until you know he is on the mend..." So wait a few days and then take him to Vet?

Thanks for your input
I'd take him to the vet sooner rather than later.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Extremely insightful and informative, thank you so much for your feedback. I just looked up trigger stacking on the Web and better understand why my dog did what he did. ALOT has happened to him during the last 7 days; he was muzzled by a new groomer, forced to share an unfamiliar space with an 80 lb. female alpha dog, and exposed to the new sights, sounds and smells of the California wilderness.

Thank you Kwenami!!
I'm glad it helped!

You might also want to read some of these articles, or videos:

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/dominance-dogs-4076/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mLzcOU5wM&feature=youtu.be

A bit off topic, but a lot of the commonly believed dominance theories have been proven ineffective, and this forum strongly supports positive reinforcement training. :) You'll find especially with a dog that can be fearful it helps way more to not push things, which is what someone with a dominance background would be more likely to suggest.

A bit more on topic, I'd like to recommend Sophia Yin's "How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves". It has info on things like trigger stacking, and a ton of similar ideas and insights into dog (and all animal) behaviour that I think you would enjoy :) It really makes training and cohabiting with your dog a lot more fun, and explains a few methods (counter conditioning) really well on how to deal with chronically fearful animals. I think you'd get a lot out of it if you were interested :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If he has a "pink bubble" by his anus, I would take him in right away and get that checked out, also the fact that he is still licking it indicates that it is uncomfortable. By "be careful" I just meant that I don't want you to get bit again! It is a violation of trust, and I'm sure he feels terrible when he bites also! If you know the situation that might make him uncomfortable, you can avoid putting him in that situation if at all possible. Please don't take him back to that groomer if he is using a muzzle! If he has been groomed regularly, that is completely unnecessary and scary for him (if the groomer is doing his job right). Prabably has a lot to do with why is so uncomfortable with being handled right now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a hunch something traumatic happened during his visit to the groomer. I was the first one there at 7:50am and was told it'd be an hour tops. Never received a call and showed up at 9:30am only to find my dog on the table with a muzzle on. He had a few razor burns near his scrotum and probably freaked out when groomer expressed his anal glands. I harbor no ill feelings towards the groomer...just super bummer my guy had to endure hours of misery. He immediately gets into a defensive posture when he hears water being turned on, or when I say bath...friggn sucks!!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts

Thanks for your input
This is the classic sign for an impacted anal gland, and it will most likely not get better on its own and it hurts him very much. Your dog probably needs antibiotics, and your vet will likely give you some other care like warm water compresses or an ointment to help the skin feel better. The very last thing you want is for it to rupture. If it ruptures externally, it will drain everywhere and possibly get more infected, but if it ruptures internally, it could go septic and kill him. Please take him to the vet.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the classic sign for an impacted anal gland, and it will most likely not get better on its own and it hurts him very much. Your dog probably needs antibiotics, and your vet will likely give you some other care like warm water compresses or an ointment to help the skin feel better. The very last thing you want is for it to rupture. If it ruptures externally, it will drain everywhere and possibly get more infected, but if it ruptures internally, it could go septic and kill him. Please take him to the vet.
Just had him checked out by the Vet who found no abnormalities and gave him a clean bill of health. Will certainly be more selective about who puts their hands on my guys butt IF I choose to get him expressed....don't think I ever will....

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Is there even a reason to have them expressed if they're not causing problems? I've had dogs almost all my life and none of them have had anal glands expressed.

Glad he checked out ok! Sorry about his poor grooming experience though :( It's great that you're such a caring owner and are working to understand him and communicate with him. So many people get bitten and take it personally, which of course helps nothing!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Whew, that's great news then. If a dog's poop is of normal volume and consistency, that's usually enough to keep the anal glands in working order, unless you've got a dog prone to issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts