Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And here's another post while I try to be patient about being on a waiting list for a future pup! Apologies if this is dumb... I just tend to research, research, and overthink things. :)

So, currently the husband and I live in an apartment. We're lucky in that our complex is very dog friendly. Most folks here have at least one dog, if not two. However, I also see this as being problematic, especially when Future Pup is newly home and not fully vaccinated yet. An additional problem is that we're on the second floor, and I know sometimes it's a "get the pup out NOW" situation with housetraining. :)

Buut, we also have a balcony!

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to do the initial housetraining with one of the turf pad type things out on the balcony (sliding glass door from the living room) until pup is older and better able to hold it and also more ready to be out and about with other dogs. Since dogs don't necessarily generalize well, am I going to run into issues with then switching to going out several normal doors, down stairs, and out onto "real" grass? Different location, different process, different texture, etc etc?

My own personal guess is that, depending on the dog (obviously!) I'll likely face a bit of regression but that it'll be totally okay to basically have two different "phases" to housetraining. Or am I just way overthinking this and I should stick to going all the way downstairs, even at first?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses. I apologize again if this is a silly question.

Edit: Oh, and the reason I don't want to exclusively use the balcony is that, while it would fit a potty area, it's still fairly small and I'd prefer it not be a permanent installation, but I'd be okay if it ended up being that way, too, if it proved necessary!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and another question I have I this topic!

There's a spot on the carpet where my kitties would occasionally pee... I didn't catch it right away and that spot occasionally got additional use. Several treatments with Nature's Miracle seems to have gotten most, but not all of the residue. I plan on doing another treatment with Nature's Miracle as well as a carpet shampooing before we get our pup, but I'm wondering if I need to keep a particularly close eye on that spot since it already has pee smell, or if dogs only prefer places that smell of their own pee and ignore cat pee place.

I'm really hoping the shampooing will get rid of it once and for all, but I want to be prepared just in case...

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would advise against the balcony because I've just known too many dogs who will never stop peeing out there and it is gross. I suppose depending on the type (size) of dog, it may or may not be a big deal, but the whole grass pad/potty pad thing is really just an extra hassle that draws out housebreaking IMO. While obviously being around other dogs is a concern, especially with regard to parvo, it is completely impractical to not socialize or walk your dog for the whole critical period just because of disease paranoia. Just make reasonable choices, let your pup only interact with vaccinated dogs and keep a watchful eye out for symptoms of disease. I think going straight to outside, even if you have to carry the pup for a little while will make everything easier in the long run.

As for the cat pee, I have never had my dogs mark on the spots my cats, but it would probably be good to keep an eye on it anyway.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent, thank you! And not making a porch potty saves on not having extra work. Thank you!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hadn't planned on avoiding socialization, FYI, just the poop. ;) Alas, some neighbors are not good at cleaning up after their dogs. Thank you again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts