Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 4 year-old Miniature Schnauzer, Sparkle, has suffered from a fear of thunder since she was a puppy. Unfortunately, during the summer, we get quite a few thunderstorms. As soon as she hears the thunder, Sparkle cowers and wedges herself under the nearest piece of furniture, remaining there until the storm has subsided. She refuses to come when she is called during a storm, choosing to remain in her hiding place. This has been a bit problematic in the past, as my entire family has spent several hours searching the house for her.

On the few occasions that we have managed to coax her out of her hiding spot, she hides behind the nearest person. If that said person takes a step to the left, Sparkle will also take a step to the left. If the person walks into another room, Sparkle walks into the same room. She also makes every attempt to climb into someone's lap during a storm. And then refuses to leave it.

Lastly, she absolutely despises going potty when there is a storm raging around her. Instead, she chooses to stand outside in the rain until she is let into the house. This has led to more than one accident.

Currently, it's pouring buckets and, of course, there is an abundance of thunder. Sparkle has wedged herself behind a toilet in one of our bathrooms. Has anyone dealt with such a problem and can offer any advice?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Maybe providing her with a crate and blanket will give her a sense of security during the storms. When she shows signs of this fear, take her to her crate and let her "hide" in there with a snuggly blanket or pillows. This might give her a sense of security, and you will know where she is.
I hope others will chime in and "yes or no" this suggestion, because it's all I can think of.
As far as the potty thing, she's probably scared to be outside during the rain, and I'm not sure what to suggest about that to be of any help.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I completely agree with the covered crate suggestion. I also have a thunderphobic dog and she is terrible when we have storms though lately she's been doing a bit better... Anyway with her if I know a storm is coming she gets her thundershirt strapped on and she has access to a covered crate. Normally however she tends to take to hiding under my sisters bed or my parents closet depending on where exactly I am, but covered crates are awesome! It's really just all about where they feel safe/secure etc and Abby happens to feel safe under my sisters bed...

I've also had a lot of people recommend rescue remedy or D.A.P plugins, but I personally haven't tried either though I had originally planned to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try a Thunder Shirt. I've heard very positive things about them. They wrap snugly around the dog's body and make it feel more secure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts