Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've talked about my reactive puppy many times on here. Right now, she's enrolled in a Reactive Rover class and the trainer said her reactivity is over excitement. Her body wiggles, tail goes crazy, she bows, she jumps, and then she barks. She reacts to both strangers and dogs pretty much the same.

We're doing the group class for the next 5 weeks along with homework (LAT) on the days we're not in class.

My question is - do you think that this behavior is semi-normal and could she potentially outgrow it? Shes a 75 lb lab puppy. Still very much a teenager.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That sounds very, very normal for a lab. Labs stay puppyish for a loooong time. She will probably outgrow it, but the reactivity class sounds like a great idea. :) Good luck with her!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an older Ridgeback/Lab mix. She stayed puppy until she was 5 probably. She wasn't really this goofy acting, though. But I got her when she was older (18 months) and I got my puppy at 8
months.

But my puppy is very smart. When you have treats, she catches on very quickly. I just hope that all this training truly modifies the behavior and doesn't just teach her to jump through the hoops to get a treat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds cute!! Enjoy that.
Hahaha it's not cute at all. It's embarrassing and frustrating. Her bark is deep and loud - very startling to strangers and it escalates other dogs. Not to mentions she's 75 pounds and growing - too big to be jumping around and acting crazy. She needs to get a major grip on life.

·
Registered
502 Posts
They can outgrow it, but if it becomes a habit as a puppy, they will keep doing it as an adult many times. So I would for sure continue the classes. And I agree, it is not cute. It's dangerous and very disturbing to others. I have a dog that can tolerate other dogs, but is not particularly dog friendly, and if she is approached by an over friendly dog like that, it does not end well. It's very rude behavior. Sounds like you are on the right track!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They can outgrow it, but if it becomes a habit as a puppy, they will keep doing it as an adult many times. So I would for sure continue the classes. And I agree, it is not cute. It's dangerous and very disturbing to others. I have a dog that can tolerate other dogs, but is not particularly dog friendly, and if she is approached by an over friendly dog like that, it does not end well. It's very rude behavior. Sounds like you are on the right track!
Agreed. She does beautifully off-leash. She approaches appropriately, sniffs, and moves on. But as soon as the leash goes on - it's a completely different dog.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hahaha it's not cute at all. It's embarrassing and frustrating. Her bark is deep and loud - very startling to strangers and it escalates other dogs. Not to mentions she's 75 pounds and growing - too big to be jumping around and acting crazy. She needs to get a major grip on life.
I get it, I really do. Puppies are like human kids but they grow up 7 times faster, so I say enjoy it because you'll soon miss some of these puppy moments.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get it, I really do. Puppies are like human kids but they grow up 7 times faster, so I say enjoy it because you'll soon miss some of these puppy moments.
I will definitely miss some of her silly puppiness - but not the reactivity. Never ever. It's very difficult and I've considered re-homing her in the past. I'm not sure I'm able to give her the support she needs to overcome this. But each time I want to give up - I keep on trying.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I will definitely miss some of her silly puppiness - but not the reactivity. Never ever. It's very difficult and I've considered re-homing her in the past. I'm not sure I'm able to give her the support she needs to overcome this. But each time I want to give up - I keep on trying.
That's why I know you'll figure something out!!!! Hang in there. I have high hopes for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts