Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two dogs:
Almost 2 year old Pit/Bull Terrier. Approx 50 lbs. Thin black coat on his back, white on stomach-not unlike a tux.

9 month old Med-Long Blonde Hair Chuhuahua. 8ish lbs.

We live in Omaha. In the dead of Summer right now, the daily temperature highs and lows go from about 70 to 90. Recently we've had some heat advisories hit and humidity brings the "feels like" temperature up about 10 degrees, so it can feel like 100+.

I've heard of a general rule for dogs on cement being if you can't keep the back of your hand down for 5 seconds, don't bring your dog out. So that eliminates walks. However, I have a backyard full of grass...if I set out a container of water, how long can each dog go outside-shade or no shade.

We've been playing it safe and keeping them in except for bathroom breaks, but cabin fever starts kicking in. Just wanted to see what their advised limits were.

My pit, Alfred isn't a huge fan of running water...but I continuously tempted to put a sprinkler head out for them as well. Figure he can determine a difference between spray bottle (runs and sulks), hose (runs and sulks), rain (can be tolerant-depends on how heavy), and sprinkler (no luck so far).
The Chuhuahua you ask? He's still trying to determine if he hates any of them or not.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Generally, any yard I can find is better than the dogs being in the house during really hot weather. Luckily, although my yard is pretty small (and hot), we have access to a friend's yard. This yard has a large kiddie pool and lots of shade. Two of the dogs regularly stroll through the pool, drinking and cooling off. The desert-born dog isn't fond of water that's deeper than his toenails, so BF regularly wets down a towel and gives him a good rub. He's also put the sprinkler out, which the other two like but again, the desert-dog doesn't think water outside of his drinking bowl is a good idea. Desert dog does dig himself cooling holes, and on one occasion dug himself right into a damp spot.

That's all my ideas.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Yeah, I'm down in NE Kansas, and we're feeling the heat too!

You can try exercising a bit in the evening, though I know it's been unbearable even then. Temp-wise it's not always so bad, but the air just feels so heavy, it's hard to breathe.

Definitely try the sprinkler, or a kiddie pool if your dogs like them (can't hurt to try). It may feel good to you too!

Otherwise, with shade and ample water, they could probably go out in thirty minute chunks as long as you keep an eye on them. Even with cabin fever, though, if it's that hot it may be hard to get them to exercise at all, so water activities may help.

I know my dogs go outside for bathroom breaks, in the evenings, and otherwise try to play in the house. They get just as hot and tired as I do outside.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might invest in a collapsible, hard lined kiddie pool. I'd like to make the sprinkler work as well, but it'll be tough for my Pit. In a few years we should have a few things in the yard making shade to help as well. 30 minutes is more than we've been doing and probably more than they can tolerate...so good to know (they just walk to the gate when they're ready for in)! There was just concern over illness related to heat.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thats not ridiculously hot and neither of those dogs are over insulated. It gets about as hot and humid here in the summers and Simba a lab(cold weather dog) hangs out outside all day. He has shade and water and has never had heat stroke. Just watch their body language.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Depends on if they are acclimated to the weather and if they have plenty of shade.

The temp sounds a lot like the weather we have here, and my dog Zody does go for walks in the morning and late evening, he walks on the concrete without a problem, and we stay in the shade so the heat isn't to bad.

My two previous dogs spent hours outside in the summer but they were used to the weather and the yard had plenty of shade so they were not getting overheated in the sun. Mostly they laid around during the heat of the day and were active in the morning and evening.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm in Florida (so temps in the 90s heat index of 110+ some days) and maybe the dogs are acclimated? But we continue to let them out as they choose and take them on walks (though walks mainly in the evening). Most of the dogs, mine included, like to escape the AC and lay in the sun outside for 15-20min (or if at my parents' 5 acres, much longer) at a time, or run and play outside. When they come back in it doesn't even take them more than a minute to stop panting if they've been running around, and if they're just laying in the sun there's no panting at all.
I guess dogs that are not acclimated to our year-round heat might be more sensitive? But I've never had a problem just letting them self regulate and come in and out when they want.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts