Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chili is a 10lb Maltipoo and is now 17 weeks, doing good with housetraining but mostly because we really don't let him have accidents, we've been going out very often since he came home at 8 weeks but I know he's still young and bladder control is not 100% yet, we do either the playpen or crate or supervise when he's not in either. I wonder for a puppy this age/size how often should be we taking him out? We do go out 20 min after eating/driniking but outside of that I wonder if taking him out to often is not helping him to learn to hold it? He does at times try to tell us with barking but it's often hard to tell if its play with me or I need to go bark...working on that one :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
It really depends on the dog. One of mine was holding it for an hour or more easily at that age, while the other had to go out every 10-15min still.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You have a small breed dog that is still a baby. I would do your best and work tirelessly to prevent any accident from occurring for a very, very long time. Don't be less vigilant because the dog is doing well. That is when mistakes happen, and the dog learns that peeing in the house is an option too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts