Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 dogs. A 9 year old Daschund, a 3 year old Rat/Jack Russel terrier, and a puppy who is a mix of many small dogs. ****zu, daschund, cocker spaniel, Jack Russel, rat terrier she's just a mix. I work and am away from home for about 9-10 hours at a time. I have kennels for them all but would feel bad leaving them for so long. So I'm getting their dog house set back up. I have a dog house with a door flap sitting on wood with blankets, that the puppy drags out and the 9 year old shreads daily, so I need ideas on how to have some heat in there that they wont hurt their self chewing. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
There are weatherproof, dog heating mats that you can get
Amazon.com : K&H Manufacturing Lectro-Soft Replacement Cover Large 25-Inch by 36-Inch : Dog Heating Pad : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : K&H Manufacturing Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Bed Medium Tan 19-Inch by 24-Inch 40 Watts : Pet Beds : Pet Supplies
Personally I'd go with the one with the removable cover since if the dogs get wet the soft cover may be a problem.

You can also stuff the dog house with hay or cedar or pine bedding, all three are good for insulation and keeping the dogs warmer. From what I'm reading the hay could attract insects but cedar or pine bedding should repel them.

Reactions: DrHarmony

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I have 3 dogs. A 9 year old Daschund, a 3 year old Rat/Jack Russel terrier, and a puppy who is a mix of many small dogs. ****zu, daschund, cocker spaniel, Jack Russel, rat terrier she's just a mix. I work and am away from home for about 9-10 hours at a time. I have kennels for them all but would feel bad leaving them for so long. So I'm getting their dog house set back up. I have a dog house with a door flap sitting on wood with blankets, that the puppy drags out and the 9 year old shreads daily, so I need ideas on how to have some heat in there that they wont hurt their self chewing. Any ideas?
Wouldn't a doggie door be better so they could stay inside out of the cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wouldn't a doggie door be better so they could stay inside out of the cold.
I live in a trailer so the way the pen is set up there's no way for a doggie door. And the puppy chews and the 9 year old has separation anxiety so they don't stay in the house alone unless in the kennel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I had a dog that was outdoors in the winter months for the day, we used straw bales. At first we used to put it in the dog house, but then we made a dog house out of straw bales. It worked great.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What area are you in? I know in my area I would never leave dogs of that mix outside in the winter no matter what kind of kennel I had for them. Even my Bernese mix does not stay outside in the middle of winter even though she has an insulated dog house. I would build a small heated kennel building with a doggy door so they could come and go but still have a warm place to be inside.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
How warm do you need it, that is how cold do your winters get? My Aussie loves the snow, but I can't leave him out for too long in January since it gets cold here (-12 to -15 Celsius, plus the wind chill puts it down to around -20 to -30). Brrrrrr.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Keep in mind guys that these are very small dogs were taking about. Things that work for large breeds may not work for a daschund.

·
Registered
502 Posts
When I lived with my parents, the dogs weren't allowed in the house and stayed outside unless it got to 15 degrees or less. Then they were allowed in a heated shed. Mine are all small and had no issues being outside. In fact, they're hyper and happy when it's really cold.

I have a couple insulated dog houses, and keep them stuffed with straw. They love nesting in it. I've tried cedar or pine, but they just fly away and aren't good for nesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts