Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just ordered a 10x10x6 dog kennel for my 8 month 32lb border collie mix. She is an indoor dog but I want to use this for when I have to go out in the evening instead of putting her in her crate (she likes her crate but I feel this would be nicer in good weather).

I am concerned about a few things though;
1- Is it bad for her to potty on the decking..like not bad for the decking but for her house training I mean.. its just that its kinda like flooring and I don't want to confuse her house training.
2- how often and how should it be cleaned given that it wont be used too much.
3- she is a digger and a chewer so I have to be careful

Here is my basic plan;

- create a 2by4 wood frame and build a deck made of composite boards spaced closely together on it. The 4" height should keep her away from the bottom of the fencing.
- have a roof (maybe made of wood frame and tarp?) over half, so she can have shade or sun
- have a dog house inside under the roof'd part
- possibly have a 3x3 area that is not decked with peas gravel or something that she can use to potty? to address the house training concerns.

ideas? problems?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think that sounds great. It sounds very safe and secure. Personally I would leave a small area dirt or pea gravel or such, because I don't like my dogs to go to the bathroom on wood or decking or any kind of material that is similar to a floor or porch. It would be less confusing for her.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that sounds great. It sounds very safe and secure. Personally I would leave a small area dirt or pea gravel or such, because I don't like my dogs to go to the bathroom on wood or decking or any kind of material that is similar to a floor or porch. It would be less confusing for her.
Thank you, I feel a lot more confident in my plans now that someone else agrees lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Adding to what ChessaQ said, I would:

- show her what the gravel/dirt area is for and train her to eliminate there.

- spend time with her in the run chilling (you read while she relaxes or chews on appropriate things) and get her used to being in there, first with you (sat inside or just outside the run) and then alone, before leaving her there when you go out. Gradually go from supervised to semi-supervised to ensure she's behaving in there (and not chewing at the wrong things, etc.).

You want to nip any bad habits in the bud and set her up for success so she feels happy there. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
If she is a chewer, I would be inclined to skip the wood deck flooring and use concrete instead so you know she won't get out. Also, even pressure treated wood will eventually rot if she urinates on it and from continual hosing to clean it, and would probably not be good health-wise for her to chew on. You can pour a concrete pad (benefit of being able to put anchors for the kennel in the concrete so it can't be picked up/or slid from the correct location) or use pavers like these: Equipment Slabs | CONCRETE REINFORCED EQUIPMENT PAD | 2424CONCPOOLPAD 24"X24" . You could put them around at least the perimeter of the enclosure, then either do the center as well or put pea gravel in the center.

For the top, I would use either another couple kennel panels, or you could make lighter duty panels out of welded/woven wire fencing. Then put a tarp on that if you want for shade (and maybe consider also doing the same over 1/2 of the sunny side).

You don't want her laying on concrete, so you can get a raised bed like a kuranda, or they sell plastic decking that you could put, though a bed would be softer.

I wouldn't think that she will get confused re: housetraining, as outside is outside, even if you do end up using wood decking. I would pick up solid material daily, and probably rinse/clean with hose at least weekly. If you give her a designated "potty area", make sure to put her bed as far away as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts