Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I am new here and looking for some tips as I am on my last nerve with my dog lately. He is a cane corso/boxer and just over a year old. He has been out of a crate when home alone for a couple months not. Most of the time he is good but then sometimes he just goes wild and chews things. I just don't know what to do to stop this anymore. We put everything away, he has a million toys,his bones are out, his food, his water and he has been to the washroom right before leaving. He was home alone today for about an hour and he tore apart his bed all over our living room.
I would like to bring his crate back out and see if he will learn his lesson but he did learn to break out of it and I am worried that he will hurt himself.

Any suggestions??

·
Super Moderator
2,478 Posts
The way you say that bringing his crate back might make him learn his lesson implies he would understand the crate is back because of the destructive behaviour - he won't see the two as connected at all. Also, the crate should be his safe, happy retreat, not for punishment anyway. The fact he has broken out of it also makes me wonder if he is completely happy there.

The solution to the problem of his destructive behaviour depends on the cause. How often is he left alone - does he suffer from separation anxiety at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way you say that bringing his crate back might make him learn his lesson implies he would understand the crate is back because of the destructive behaviour - he won't see the two as connected at all. Also, the crate should be his safe, happy retreat, not for punishment anyway. The fact he has broken out of it also makes me wonder if he is completely happy there.

The solution to the problem of his destructive behaviour depends on the cause. How often is he left alone - does he suffer from separation anxiety at all?
He is alone maybe one or twice a week for about an hour - 2 hours other than that someone is always home with him. He does not suffer from separation anxiety.

·
Registered
226 Posts
He could certainly injure himself if he tried to break out of his crate.

You say he doesn't have separation anxiety - how do you know this? Is it possible to video him while you're out so you can see what he does - if he seems to be destructive out of anxiety or if he's just having a whale of a time?

Ripping up beds can be very satisfying for dogs - he doesn't know that destroying it is wrong. Assuming he's not distressed, is it possible for you to confine him to an area where he can't damage anything he shouldn't? You could replace his bed with a hard plastic one that you fill with old blankets (from a charity shop) - old charity-shop duvets make good beds too, though they can be destroyed. Something else that might be more fun for him than toys is cardboard boxes that he can shred - you could even add treats in little boxes or twists of paper, inside bigger boxes, inside even bigger boxes, in the cardboard box. It'll still make a mess, but no worse than a young child playing with Lego!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have spoken to our vet regarding separation anxiety has his brother suffers from it but out guy has not been showing any signs of it.
He is doing more than just his bed, he has been taking shoes as well.. ripped up newspaper.
guy LOVES his toys. I am worried if we gave him boxes he would eat them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some days, the only reason I knew my dog had SA (or separation distress, depending on how you define it) was when I played back the recording and heard him howling... he wasn't destructive, and he might have quietened down when he heard us approach the house, but he definitely wasn't happy about being left.

Shoes are easily put away - it's worth having a big box with a lid that you can sling everything like that into, including newspapers, books, whatever. I understand your concern about him eating boxes, but they are possibly less of a risk than swallowing bits of bedding or shoes. You could always have a trial run when you're in the house, which would give you an opportunity to encourage him to find it fun - and maybe don't include the treats, so he's less inclined to swallow what it's wrapped in.

Have you tried him with something like a stuffed frozen Kong (probably the version for extra-hard chewers), which he might find more rewarding to chew/empty? Also, of course, he may settle better if he has had plenty of exercise before he's left... though with enough time to wind down and relax again before you leave, so he's not still feeling hyper.

He's still at a 'difficult age' and often the best approach is to manage the behaviour to stop it becoming too much of a habit, and surviving till he matures and calms down a little.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He liked his kongs when he was a little puppy but once he got bigger he seems to have no interest in them anymore for some reason. maybe i will try to box with him when we are home. thanks for the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts