Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. First time posting here.
Four months ago, we were asked by a friend if we would like to rescue a 6 year old Mini Australian Shepherd. He is a Red Merle with white. The couple that owned him was going through a divorce and couldn't keep him. We accepted. We never owned a Mini Aussie before and knew little about the breed. He is a sweet dog. We heard from our friend that the previous owners neglected him; leaving him outside day and night.

When we got him, his hair was cut short, he hadn't been to a Vet in three years, and was do for all his vaccinations. The first thing we did was take him to the Vet for his shots, and a microchip. About three weeks ago, again not knowing anything about a Mini Aussie, we had him groomed. His hair was cut short again. We live in a hot climate, so thought it was a good idea. Looks like the groomer didn't know anything about the breed either.

In the last couple of weeks, I have been reading up on the breed, and discovered that I shouldn't have had his hair cut short because of the double coat. It also said that if you cut it short, it might not grow back the way it should. Right now he looks like a big fluff ball. :)

Any help on what we should do? Should I let the hair grow out? Was it bad to get it cut short? Any help would be very much appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Hello and congrats on the Aussie. I have owned 2 and one is still with me. Mine is a hairy beast, and it gets over 100d F here in the High Sierra Desert summers.

Believe it or not, the undercoat acts like insulation to help your dog stay cool, and clipping can cause unintended results With that said, I do trim his hair, and am constantly raking his undercoat, but it's a never ending battle. I suggest getting an undercoat rake, and slicker brush.
I "shave" a stripe on his belly during the summers so when he lies down on the cool floor inside, he gets cooled off a bit.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Congradulations and bless your heart for adopting this pup! The groomer 'should' have known better than to shave a double coated dog, but what is done is done. Feed him a good quality food, and just let his fur grow out to it's natural length - staying consistent with the brushing can help to keep it in good shape.

·
Registered
534 Posts
One of my friends used to trim her Aussie twice every summer. He handled temperature control by swimming in her pond. She didn't particularly appreciate puddles and pond snails on her living room rug, so she trimmed him short enough that most of the pond debris had fallen off by the time he came back into the house. Yes, it did affect his coat quality. Guard hairs take at least a year to regrow when they get clipped, so his guard hairs never had time to fully regrow before it was time to trim them again. No, he did not end up with the kind of razor burn coat loss that some groomers and vets warn about. He just looked like a fuzzy baby duckling for much of the summer.

My friend's current Aussie (a rescue) is terrified of the groomer, so his coat is always a mess. He has felted mats hanging down from his belly. Occasionally when he's asleep she can sneak in and cut one or two of the worst ones out. Otherwise he won't tolerate any kind of grooming. Given the choice between a clean but incorrect trim or a dirty matted mess, I'd choose the clean wash-n-wear style of his predecessor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again. Just an update about what’s happened since I posted this thread. I did a search of groomers near by. On the phone the groomer sounded knowledgeable about grooming Mini Aussies. Long story short, she did a great job. I also bought a Furminator brand comb to help groom the under coat.
Again thanks for your replies and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I suggest not using a Furminator as they can destroy a dog's coat. A rake is the way to go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts