Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, our pup decided to eat her poop. I was so worried that day so i took her to the vet. The vet ordered a stool exam. I sent in the sample the other day, got the results yesterday.

Lo and behold, our puppy has giardia.:sick: This is her second day of medicine that we had to mix in wet dog food. She has pooped 5 times today already and one was in our bedroom. I have no choice but to put her in the crate most of the day because of the accident and i cannot keep an eye on her all the time if i leave her roam around the house as usual. Now with her being in the crate often today, she has started whining. I do not know if that is from feeling uncomfortable and sick or from feeling that she is being punished.

I am heartbroken seeing her in the crate, not having much appetite and whining, giving us her puppy eyes to let her out.

Any ideas on how to make this easier on us and make her recover faster?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Being in the crate more often than usual is a punishment. I would put the pup in the kitchen with a baby gate or some where that it does not matter if there is an accident. You really dont want the accidents to happen in the crate. Once they start going in the crate its very hard to stop. Last dog I had with giardia I used healing clay to clean out the inside it is like kaopectate without the additives and fed white rice in low sodium broth instead of regular meals. You could also add yogurt or kefir to the meals.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you get healing clay? She just started vomiting too. My husband got up last night to find her crate dirty as well as the outside with vomit. Once he took her out she puked some more. We both think that she tried hard to hold it in while she was in the crate. The following morning she didnt eat breakfast, i literally had to spoon feed her dinner because it had her medicine in it. Is it usual for them to puke with the meds? She is on her third day of punacar powder.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts