Dog Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey, yeh I never said we dont let him out on our yard, we do, I'm just sayin i wish we could proper tale him out now :)

Cheers digger, we do that now :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hey guys. Thought id update you all. He's still at it! All the time! Go up to him and say hello BITE, go to stroke him BITE, give him a toy he wants to BITE us, he walks past us BITE!

It's so frustrating. Seems when we tell him no he doesn't want to let go of our clothes and/or stop jumping at us and he gets more agressive!! And makes him want to bite even more. We tell him no when he has hold of our clothes, to make him let go but it gets worse!! Then we put him in the kitchen till he calms down. He stays calm for a min then starts again :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
I totally feel for you. My puppy is an absolute terror. He attacks my dog, my legs, my face and my fingers in a quite viscous manner. When I tell him no, he spins around and snaps at me as if to say "NO!"
I've tried spanking, and that actually does work quite well. Just a pat on the bottom and he stops immediately. But from what I've been told "it's just going to make him more aggressive blah blah blah," so I've stopped that. I'm convinced that when he bites me sometimes, it's not because he wants to play, but because he's purposely trying to get a reaction from me.
I've recently purchased Cesar Millan's book, so hopefully that will help me too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I feel for you too!

I'm sure they grow out of it. A lot of my older family members have had dogs, and who smacked theirs and they didn't turn out aggressive. We do tap him on the nose now but id never wanna pin my dog down and frighten my dog like cesar milan does.

Em

·
Registered
293 Posts
Haha, I've had to pin down Thatcher because he likes to snap a good bit. It doesn't hurt them, it just shows them that they will be released when they calm down. It's useful when it's impossible to calm down a 12 week old bullet that's running around growling and attacking me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well we have tried it, he enjoys it though! He doesn't stop at all, so we shut him in the kitchen for a few mins when he bites and starts on.one of his biting rampage till he calms down. Seems to take forever!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Perhaps a cage muzzle is in order? At least temporarily. You could train him to like it, and that could give you a break when your playing. It'll take some work, but you would think a small puppy would acclimate to a muzzle more easily than an older dog. There's a few youtube videos on how to train a dog to like their muzzle.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Seriously...STOP all the physical punishment. I hear people say "we tap his bottom is all"...thats not a spanking, a spanking it hard and rough. STOP with the physical punishment and watch the videos provided....it may be time to find a good trainer to help you....

Physical punishment is NOT GOOD and it does lead to dogs FEARING their owner because of it. Do not tap the butt, the nose, the mouth, the ear, the head, the shoulder...nothing.

If he bites, walk away, walk out of the room, leave. If you return and he bites, leave the room a bit longer. I have dealt with 6 puppies in the past 4 years and when they bit, I walked out of the room the pup is in.

He also needs to be worn out with lots of playtime and stimulation. Take him out into the yard and let him play with some toys.

This is not abnormal, so be patient and consistent and don't use punishment techniques.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
IMO, often it's not really necessary, and it's even inadequate to use harsher punishments when it's just about play times. Teaching them to interact properly is much more important. If a dog doesn't learn how to play/interact nice, he might be rough when he gets excited again (if we use harsh punishments we would only teach them to repress their excitement, which can come out any time if aroused - what we need isn't to tell them to just repress, but to know what is appropriate when they do get aroused and excited). Believe me, even very rough sharks can be gentle kissy guys after some patience and time to get them used to gentler interactions. :) At least mine did, after a few months.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Please don't hit him, or put him on his side. Hitting him may cause him to become hand shy. All you are going to get by yelling is a dog who thinks you are barking along with him.

I use ahhahh to get my dog to stop an unwanted action. All it means to him is that he should stop whatever he's doing, mainly it startles him a bit because it's a strange noise so he stops. He's learned over time that ahhahh means stop.

When he was a pup, to get him to stop biting I'd use ahhahh to break the behavior, and immediately give him his toy to bite and then go on playing with him. If he bit again, I'd tell him ahhahh and get up and leave. It took a week or two (it's been way to long ago to remember exactly) but he learned to bite on his toys and not on me.

Have you tried getting your pup to chase after something besides you? Like someone mentioned a flirt pole, or a ball or frisbee? The trick really is to make biting yourself unpleasant because it ends the fun and gets him left alone, and give him something appropriate to bite on, it taste good, is fun to chase and bite and the person stays and place with him.

Ahh forgot to say, don't ever let him bite you without stopping the behavior. Don't play with him with your bare hands letting him bite on them, don't poke at him with your foot with a shoe on to get him playing and let him bite it. Doing that will only confuse him.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Okay so I think I may have figured out how to get my little terror to stop biting. I tried all of the techniques out there, and so far the only one that works is the Jaw-holding method. When the puppy bites down on your skin, immediately hold on to his bottom jaw for 10-15 seconds. not too hard that it's painful, but just long enough so that it's uncomfortable. It's working so far with my boy. I stick a chew toy in his mouth after

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
We don't normally advice that due to some dogs becoming reactive and biting the owner. Best methods are not hands on ones that can set the dog up for failure, in this case, biting.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
With ours the most successful tool for biting has been "leave it". He gets a look where I know he is wanting to bite or he is worked up and I just tell him leave it. I can leave food on the floor and say "leave it" and he will. It's taught him more self control. I was having a problem with him barking at big dogs when he was on leash and today at the pet store and on our walk we saw 4-6 big dogs and he had all the stuff coming where I knew he was about to bark and I said "Leave it!" and ya know what...he did! It's a great command for many many things. In fact when one big dog started growling at my dog I said "leave it" to my dog to keep him from reacting back and the man with the other dog said "oh man we all use that don't we" and then he started putting his dogs in sits/downs/etc to get his attention off my dog til we passed.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts