Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a terrific Forum! I have been reading all of the 'Puppy' posts and am sucking up the info like a Hoover. After reading a few "OMG What Have I Done" posts, I thought I would seek some advice BEFORE 'Pup' arrives.

Us: We (as a couple) are moving in with the owner of an apartment and his 11 yr old female JRT. We have been friends with man+dog for many years. We also have a hedgehog who doesn't use a cage. J works full-time plus some; I don't work due to disability. My doc actually 'prescribed' a dog for me and I am planning to train him to be somewhat of a service dog.

Pup: Lab/Rottie and Retriever Cross male born Aug 5

I have a gazillion questions and I'm sure you will be hearing a lot from me but, in the interest of harmony, there are a couple dog-dog issues I'd like to prepare for:
- when we bring pup home, what is the best way to introduce him?
- logistically: we will be using the upstairs two bedrooms and live on the bldg's second floor...am I going to be able to get the poor l'il guy all the way outside to pee? Will he make it? Should I plan on newspaper in the bathroom or is that adding an unnecessary step?
- feeding: should pup eat downstairs with the JRT? Or upstairs with us? Should I feed both dogs myself? at the same time?

I am planning to take both dogs for a quick walk, then will bring the JRT home and continue on with Pup. Make sense? The JRT is NOT well-trained, BTW: pulls on a leash; goes crazy when the doorbell rings; can be aggressive at first with new dogs.

This is just the tip of my question ice berg. Most importantly: what advice would you give right off the bat, knowing now what you didn't know then?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Cindy

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
:wave: Hi! Are you from Canmore? (judging by your name :)) I'm just across the border in Kimberley. Hope the flooding wasn't too bad for you guys.

Check out Kikopup on youtube, she's great and I learned a lot through her videos. Check some of the stickies on housebreaking puppies on this forum as well!

With the hedgehog, I personally wouldn't trust my puppy to not eat it to put it bluntly. I might cage it for it's own safety while not supervised. Crate training your puppy will be beneficial for potty training.

Introductions, the JRT will probably be snappy and territorial at first, especially if he has never lived with another dog. Don't be alarmed, it just takes time. Make sure your puppy isn't pushing boundaries with the JRT and it will run smoothly.

Lots of people with apartments can successfully potty train a puppy. Just make sure you are taking him out lots and not leaving it too long. If he goes outside give him tons of praise! I personally am not a fan of paper training really, realistically your puppy will be very large very quick and they pee... a lot :) Make sure you get up a few times during the night at first to let you puppy out.

My dog and my dad's 2 dogs eat together when I am living here. Try it out, but you may find it beneficial to feed your puppy in his crate to reinforce him wanting to be in it. Make sure you take your puppy out to go to the bathroom right after peeing.

Hope to see pictures soon! What will his name be? He was born on my birthday actually!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Congratulations!

My lab was actually fine with my hedgehog and ferrets, but I always supervised. Each dog is different though, just remember puppies can become too playful and hurt such small animals. I would be concerned about a JRT (particularly untrained) and hedgehog. JRTs were bred for vermin (rat) control as far as I know. If the JRT shows any interest, you may want to just keep seperate all the time. From what I remember of my hedgehog, it didn't have necessarily the smarts, wits, and quickness to really compete with my dogs like say my ferrets or cats and while the hedgehog has some protection, I do not think you would want to stress it out too much.

It is usually best to introduce and neutral ground with both animals a little worn out. I think it will depend on the puppy too. I was so concerned about my puppy and dogs, but my puppy is really submissive (licks dogs faces and rolls on back) and once my dogs saw that they were fine with him.

Newspaper and puppy pads as far as I know make training take longer as your are training them to think going inside is good. Just go often and if you catch him in the act, no yelling, just pick up and take outside. They stop going when you pick them up. My dogs were all trained in 2-3 weeks in addition to using a crate when I couldn't watch them.

I feed both my dogs at the same time in their own dishes. They are in different parts of my kitchen so they all have their own space. All food is picked up after 10-15 minutes. Be mindful that most labs love food, so if the JRT doesn't eat all of its food immediately, you'll probably want to pick up to make sure your dog doesn't eat too much and get fat.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
My dog would eat the hedgehog, no hesitation. I don't know about a lab/rottie, but I would be *really* concerned about the JRT going after the hedgehog once you move in.

There are a couple of really great "things I wish I'd known" threads, but here is the advice I always repeat:

1. Time and patience, time and patience.

2. Take TONS of pictures. When you have puppy despair, look at the photos. They will remind you why you are doing this, even if you want to be a million miles from the actual puppy at the moment.

2a. Post them here! We want to see!

3. Clicker training is magic. (Well, actually it is neuroscience, but I digress.)

4. I second zoorun's recommendation of the kikopup videos on YouTube. She is why I have a dog everyone loves!

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Agree with what was already said.

Also, re: walking them together. I wouldn't. You said the JRT isn't trained to walk on a leash well. 1) It'd stress me out having to try and control him and walk a puppy at the same time 2) They can feed off of eachother. If the JRT is reactive, it can teach the pup to react as well. Then you'd have two.

It's better to have them both trained to walk on leash well seperately before adding them together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank YOU!

Thank you all so much for the help!

I had already planned to keep Sumo separate from both dogs. I may introduce him to the new pup but the JRT has shown a little too much interest in the hedgie in the past for my liking, so we will just separate them entirely. Luckily, being nocturnal, Sumo prefers to be left alone aaaaaaall day and, for safety's sake, he will be in his little crate during the day. At night, we will let him wander in a closed-off room.

I think once Pup settles in, my main concern will be not leaving the JRT out. I feel guilty already. I would much prefer to spend my time along with my new pup but wanted to involve the JRT in some way. I think that will be a ways down the road, though!

Again, THANK YOU! I feel better already and I know, from reading many posts, that no matter how tough I am prepared for it to be, it will be worse. :) I'm ready for that. More or less. LOL

And yes...I live in Canmore, Alberta. I LOVE the BC interior; we plan to move there in the next couple years.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I think once Pup settles in, my main concern will be not leaving the JRT out. I feel guilty already. I would much prefer to spend my time along with my new pup but wanted to involve the JRT in some way. I think that will be a ways down the road, though!
One of the things that is important when adding a dog to a household (even though you are also "adding you", in a way) is to spend one-on-one time with each animal. Surely you'll have lots of that with the JRT while your puppy is asleep, and surely you can find things to occupy the JRT (including sleep!) while you play with and train your new furbaby!

I'm so excited for you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts