Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, uh... last week, I'm having overseas business trip, so naturally, I temporarily placed my dog Mel - Mel in my parents' home.

Before this time, Mel Mel already met and socialized (we thought) to Popo, our seventeen years old neutered male German Shepherd we had in my parents' house since he's a puppy. And to be fair, the first four of Mel Mel's six days stay there went without any accident.

Friday last week, in the afternoon, when my parents are in the house with my four years old nephew, while nobody is really looking, Popo somehow get angry with Mel Mel and mauled her in the living room. My mother found Popo pinned Mel Mel down with his front legs and somehow biting / chewing on Mel Mel's back and head, while the later is wailing and crying.

Father whacked Popo's head with broomstick (don't get angry over this, my parents is already elderly and it wasn't like they didn't tried calling Popo off verbally first) and get Mel Mel to the Vet to be treated, but refrained from informing me until I came home to fetch Mel Mel back in Sunday Morning.

Popo is usually a sweet, good tempered, and obedient dog, he is used to get rough handled by children (including my ten years old self at first, my cousins, and now my little nephew). Heck, I knew that Popo is used to get his tail and legs tugged on by children and he would yelp a bit and or whined, but never even bite back against human (And before you think children used to poke Popo all the times, no, my father usually twist our ears and told us to not playing rough with him all the time too), obviously our twenty to thirty something years old selves now already knew to treat him far better than naughty children. But to be sure, our Vet ordered Popo to be held inside his kennel and not to get outside unless closely supervised by either my father or my brother, and that only for his daily routine, and obviously not near any children until next Vet visit. But what's more puzzling here is Popo already seems to back to his old self (even before the visit to Vet), but the Vet told us to not take any chances.

Mel Mel get that worse though, Popo seems to chew her neck, front leg, and head as if she's a chew toy. She get her front left leg fractured (already splinted by Vet and told to visit for control every week), and there's noticeable scars on her neck and head too. Vet told us that she would be fine and they would heal, but right now everytime I petted Mel Mel on her head, I cannot help but wince when my hand is in contact with her injuries. Obviously Mel Mel is already taken back to my house now and there's no other dog aside of her there, she's quite lethargic compared to her former self, but the Vet said that it was normal.

Questions :
a) Is our old dog really already going senile? Vet said that aside of minor eye problem, Popo is otherwise healthy for his age, but still, attacking a socialized puppy after four days together without any accident before is not something to be taken lightly. Popo is otherwise known as a very tolerant dog, both with humans and another dogs.
b) How to heal bite and chew marks and scars on my Puppy? I knew that the Vet only prescribe some kind of cream and claim it would eventually heal, but how to ensure that those didn't end up as scars? And what about her legs, will that she be able to run and active again?

Note : Mel Mel is five month old intact female, but the Vet in my City (different Vet) suggested that she should be spayed after her first period to ensure she had complete bone growth.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I don't think I'd worry about the dog being aggressive with kids. Dog aggression doesn't equal human aggression. But I don't feel you even have dog aggression here. Sometimes puppies push their limits. I'm glad to hear your puppy is going to be fine, it's a scary thing to go through.
Popo is older and I'm sure has aches can pains. The puppy could have jumped on him or just pestered him and he reacted. I know my GSD, Nevada had little patients for dogs outside our household.
For your pup, time will heal her. Just give whatever the vet told you to and in a few weeks you'll be surprised at how well you pup has healed. Shorty was attacked a few months back, it was bad. I though he was going to have a big scar, but now I can't even find the marks without searching for them. And he is an older dog, a puppy will heal better/faster.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the children, but I'D still tell them, that an elderly dog should be left alone as long as he doesn't come to you by itself to be pet.
they often have simething hurting somewhere, so the they can be a bit grumpy when touched wrong.

the puppy I'd keep away until it's older and knows how to behave respectfully around an older dog.
Schäfis generally sometimes can be quite specific on how they want to be treated with a certain amount of respect by fellow dogs. A lot of them are pretty aloof and don't care much about dogs they don't know well and consider family.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Father called today morning, telling me that Popo's latest health checkup, especially in his problem eyes.

Popo's right eye has advanced retinal detachment, and Vet said that his right eye is basically blind now. The Vet theorized that the most likely event is Mel Mel startled, nipped, or pounced Popo from his right side, and Popo end up retaliating in the extreme because he literally can't see or knew who startled him. His left eye is having minor macular problems too, but at this point Vet said that we should take wait and see approach while giving supplements to slow down the retinal progression before next visit. And add that his overall health is not as good as what he was before, with his heartbeat having minor irregularity and hypertension, Vet also reccomended joint supplements for him too to prevent Arthritis to develop on him.

Basically Popo is now not required to be restrained on his kennel and or put in close supervision, but children should not get near him unless they're being supervised, and everyone is told specifically to not approach him from his right side unless it was necessary.

Overall bad news though, the Vet told my parents that at most Popo is having one year left to be with us, two if he's really lucky, because he has elevated risk of heart attack. And with that in mind, the Vet did not reccomend operation on his eyes, only pallitative care coupled with preventive care to slow down the progression.

I cried today, the thought that the puppy that play with you when you're children, the dog that run at your side and greet you home when you're highschool, and the old dog who always greet you when you come back to your home will be soon gone forever.

And due to this accident the Vet did not reccomend at all for my parents (or my brother, or his wife, or my nephew for that record) to get a new puppy or even adult dog until Popo passed away. Too much risk of angering him again when he is approached from the wrong side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Father called today morning, telling me that Popo's latest health checkup, especially in his problem eyes.

Popo's right eye has advanced retinal detachment, and Vet said that his right eye is basically blind now. The Vet theorized that the most likely event is Mel Mel startled, nipped, or pounced Popo from his right side, and Popo end up retaliating in the extreme because he literally can't see or knew who startled him. His left eye is having minor macular problems too, but at this point Vet said that we should take wait and see approach while giving supplements to slow down the retinal progression before next visit. And add that his overall health is not as good as what he was before, with his heartbeat having minor irregularity and hypertension, Vet also reccomended joint supplements for him too to prevent Arthritis to develop on him.

Basically Popo is now not required to be restrained on his kennel and or put in close supervision, but children should not get near him unless they're being supervised, and everyone is told specifically to not approach him from his right side unless it was necessary.

Overall bad news though, the Vet told my parents that at most Popo is having one year left to be with us, two if he's really lucky, because he has elevated risk of heart attack. And with that in mind, the Vet did not reccomend operation on his eyes, only pallitative care coupled with preventive care to slow down the progression.

I cried today, the thought that the puppy that play with you when you're children, the dog that run at your side and greet you home when you're highschool, and the old dog who always greet you when you come back to your home will be soon gone forever.

And due to this accident the Vet did not reccomend at all for my parents (or my brother, or his wife, or my nephew for that record) to get a new puppy or even adult dog until Popo passed away. Too much risk of angering him again when he is approached from the wrong side.
That's such unfortunate news, I'm really sorry to hear that. The eye thing does explain the reaction that he would have had towards the younger puppy. Although it was probably a combination of the two.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, at least now Vet deemed Mel Mel's leg are healed enough to held without splint, but he recommend me to actually not spayed her until the bones are properly set.

This is more of aesthetic concern, but how to speed up hair growth at the now bald patches on her head? I tried feed her Pedigree who claimed to give healthier coat, but what else could be done to speed up the process?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Pedigree is a pretty low quality food. Raw feeding could help her body heal a bit faster. Biotin is suppose to help with nail and hair growth, but you do want to make sure you don't over do it. It's a vitamin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pedigree is a pretty low quality food. Raw feeding could help her body heal a bit faster. Biotin is suppose to help with nail and hair growth, but you do want to make sure you don't over do it. It's a vitamin.
As annageckos said, I would go with a higher quality dog food. Brands such as Pedigree, which used to be staples in our households, have really gone downhill the past decade or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts