Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet Poppy! :D

After losing our boy a few weeks ago we couldn't stand how quiet the house was. The thought of having Christmas without a dog here and everything was a reminder. So we made the decision to adopt another.

We're not 100% on what mix she is but she's 8 months old now and we've had her a week, during which she's come on so well!

I found her on a Gumtree advert, normally I wouldn't consider it and I had already been checking our local rescue sites every day. But a woman had advertised her for sale as her father had been diagnosed with cancer and was unable to cope with her anymore. Quite exceptional circumstances so we went to see her.

She's had all her injections and tablets, we have the previous vets info so hopefully we can let our vet know and they can transfer the records over. Then we're booking her in for a check over next week, we wanted her to get settled first.

She rode really well in the car on the way home, slept the whole way! Dad walks her every day and says she's learning. She already knew 'sit' so I'm trying to teach her other commands, doing really well with 'stay' at the moment! I bought her a bigger crate so she could stretch out but there's been no need for any training there the previous owner has done really well. The first night she slept right through I couldn't have been more pleased with her. Never soiled the crate.

We have the occasional accident inside but it's mostly excitement pee which we're working with but also I understand she'll grow out of that as she gets older.

Last night she let me know twice that she needed to go out, went and sat by the patio doors, very proud of her!

Only issue at the moment is finding toys for her, she seems to pull everything apart! The only thing that is surviving right now is a classic Kong, it's the only thing I trust to keep in her crate with her at night!

So that's our beautiful girl! Going to get used to having a girl we've never had one before but we'll learn together.

Anyone have thoughts on breed? We have some ideas but would like to see what you think :p

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Well Poppy is gorgeous!!! I thought she was pure Lab, but in one of the pics I can see maybe Pointer? I'm not great at guessing mixes :rolleyes: I know what you mean about Gumtree, it's a difficult one isn't it. I alway worry dogs advertised on there will end up in the wrong hands, thankfully you have made sure Poppy is one of the lucky ones :thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Poppy is gorgeous!!! I thought she was pure Lab, but in one of the pics I can see maybe Pointer? I'm not great at guessing mixes :rolleyes: I know what you mean about Gumtree, it's a difficult one isn't it. I alway worry dogs advertised on there will end up in the wrong hands, thankfully you have made sure Poppy is one of the lucky ones :thumbsup:
Thank you :)

Not to say the other family wouldn't have tried their best but they made the decision they needed to make which I can completely understand, and at least now we can spare the time and attention whereas sadly the other family couldn't.

Lab x Pointer is not a bad guess actually, I'm not too up on the variety of breeds myself but a quick Google shows a fairly close match. She does have a small white patch on her chest. Just a few individual white hairs at the moment in a cross shape :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And now she's chewed the Kong in half! :eek:

I've cut off the part she chewed away but I won't be putting it in her crate tonight!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
And now she's chewed the Kong in half! :eek:

I've cut off the part she chewed away but I won't be putting it in her crate tonight!
Try the black Kongs, they're for chewers like ours lol

Best guess is a lab x hound of some kind (those ears!) She's a beauty whatever she is!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fist, i'm sorry to hear about the loss of your boy. I couldn't imagine how that feels, I dread the day I have to cope with my loss.

But your poppy is mixed with an American Pit Bull Terrier she has inherited the body /muscle structure of the APBT. He other have could be lab/mid size bird dog. which you can tell from her head structure.

Thus is also the reason why she rips through all of her toys, that is classic pit behavior the love to chew on things. This isnt a bad thing its just something they enjoy to do. unfortunately you will have to stick with classic Kong and gonughts toy brands.

Kong makes stuffies aswell, that hold up pretty good. You can find my whole write up about caring for pits over on the website if you wish. I have everything laid out in one spot from history, training, nutrition and toys.

If you have any further questions feel free to message me. American Pit Bull Terrier Training and Pit Bull Gear

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poppy looks very sweet. I feel lost without my dog Katie. She past away in August. I am thinking about another pet myself.
Obviously you know a new dog will never replace your previous dog, so you do have to be careful not to compare the two. But we've found Poppy has been a great help to us especially my Dad, and I tell her all about her big brother :)

Try the black Kongs, they're for chewers like ours lol

Best guess is a lab x hound of some kind (those ears!) She's a beauty whatever she is!
I've bought 2 new Kong toys for her but if she gets through those the black ones are next on the list!

She looks very sweet. I know that you will love her very much.
Thank you, we already do :)

Shes gorgeous! I was thinking Lab x maybe doberman? But could also be pointer as others have suggested....
Thank you :) I've no idea at this point, could be anything! :D

Fist, i'm sorry to hear about the loss of your boy. I couldn't imagine how that feels, I dread the day I have to cope with my loss.

But your poppy is mixed with an American Pit Bull Terrier she has inherited the body /muscle structure of the APBT. He other have could be lab/mid size bird dog. which you can tell from her head structure.

Thus is also the reason why she rips through all of her toys, that is classic pit behavior the love to chew on things. This isnt a bad thing its just something they enjoy to do. unfortunately you will have to stick with classic Kong and gonughts toy brands.

Kong makes stuffies aswell, that hold up pretty good. You can find my whole write up about caring for pits over on the website if you wish. I have everything laid out in one spot from history, training, nutrition and toys.

If you have any further questions feel free to message me. American Pit Bull Terrier Training and Pit Bull Gear

Interesting choice, she is a little muscly on the shoulders but I'll try and get a full body picture for a better look. I wouldn't mind if she was American Pit Bull Terrier but I would be worried as I believe the Pit Bull is a banned breed here :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts