Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! My husband and I just brought home a new little guy today. Hubby had taken a trip to the shelter yesterday "just to look" and ended up falling in love with a puppy. He had to work today, so I headed over there and adopted him. :)

The puppy was in a litter with two others - both girls - who had much lighter coats. They had him marked down as an Australian shepherd mix, but I honesty can't see that in him. He could be anything, of course - anyone fancy a guess?

He was said to be 3 months.

Some pictures:

He is the same size as my siamese cat (Zodiac) and reverse colors. It's pretty funny.

The puppy is still nameless. Hubby hasn't found a name he likes, yet. :)

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I just died from cuteness! He's adorable! I've noticed at least with the shelters here if the dog has ears like that, somehow they are all australian shepherd mixes. I would assume he is some sort of husky shepherd mix. He's small but who knows?

Anyways, welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
He's ADORABLE!!! I see Husky for sure- he acctually looks a lot like Nyla and her brothers did when they were little. She's a husky\lab.
Very cute! Welcome and thanks for adopting.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Who could pass up that face. It just begged to take home with you.
I sure do see Siberian Husky in there, and possibly GSD, We all will be able to tell more as the pup gets older.
Keep sending the pics, and congrats on your adoption.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! Husky/GSD is what I see in him, too! He just seems a bit small for it? He does have a curly tail, too - so I was guessing Shiba Inu also, since they're smaller.

He was an owner surrender - along with his sisters - on the 25th so I'm guessing that its possible he is younger then they said he was. You never know. :-/ I can't wait to see him grow, though!

He's such a good tempered dog already. He's very chill for a puppy. He has his own "puppy room" which is a 10x10 room tiled room off our our kitchen (supposed to be a breakfast nook). We left the door open there yesterday and allowed him to come and go. He'd come over to the couch and lay down by us and nap, then go back into the kitchen to get water, etc. He did make a few messes - all of which he went back into his puppy room to do. He has pretty runny poop right now so I'm thinking he's not quick enough to tell us yet.

I'm thinking about a doggy door to our backyard; we have never had done before but it seems like a good idea. Anyone have opinions on them?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
He looks around 8 weeks. At that age, they can't really hold it for more than a couple of hours. The general rule is 1 hr for each month in age. You'll be getting up at night a lot for the first few month for potty breaks but don't worry- he'll start sleeping through the night soon.
I wouldn't allow him to use a doggy door at this age- too many dangerous things he can chew on plus you want to see when he goes so you get "get excited" and praise him for a good job. No scolding for when he goes in the house..just clean it up and keep going. Just praise good behaviors.
Puppy proof your house to the best of your ability and monitor him 24/7 when he's not in his safe "puppy area". Electric wires, shoes, anything you don't want chewed has to be put up for a while.
Tip of in the future..when he start teething. Grannick's bitter apple spray from petco, petsmart, etc. Spray on whatever he shows interest in that he's not suppose to chew on (wall, furniture...whatever). Worked wonders with our Nyla.
Also, a good quality food (Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Blue wilderness,etc) will keep him in top shape and prevent a lot of problems such as shedding, weight gain..etc.
I know you probably know this already, but read as much as possible about huskies. They are AWESOME dogs but very...special. LOL
Keep us updated with pics please!

Oh and if you're interested to see a comparison- here is Nyla and her brothers at 8 weeks old. http://www.asecondchancerescue.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=5022768

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Dog door, I don't know. Ask our member "Tess" about those doors. She uses them for her cats, and has had some unexpected visitors in her house.
I think it best to be with our dogs when they go, so when they do, praise, praise,praise. They get the idea pretty quickly.
If out by themselves, you won't know if they do, or they don't.
But do ask Tess about her visitors.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I definitely wasn't considering the doggy door anytime soon - was thinking perhaps for the future when he's older. We don't even let him off-leash in the backyard yet. Lol

He actually slept through the night just fine! No crying - etc. Wasn't expecting that. He had also been pretty good about not getting into things, but we almost monitor him really close when he's out. There only one area in our living room that isn't puppy safe (cords) and its impossible to get them all up. He hadn't gone over there, though, so we're fine with that, I think.

Taste of the Wild is my favorite food. I have innova puppy for him right now since the store that has ToTW was really far and I wanted to get him home. Ill probably switch over to ToTW at some point, though. I like innova, too, but not as much.

More pics to come shortly!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aww, he is super cute!! Gonna say husky/shepherd mix as well.

When Maverick was that young, it took about two weeks to get through the night without accidents. We started crate training him which really helped, along with positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
He is adorable! He does look like a Husky mix with some sort of Shepherd but I don't see any Aussie in him from what I can see. There are companies like "DNA My Dog" that are fairly reasonable in price that actually analyses your dogs DNA to see all the breeds in your Dogs gene pool. Its fast, easy, and does not hurt your dog in any way. I did it with my dog because curiosity got the better of me :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol! I did the doggy DNA test with my other dog (who lives with my grandparents, presently) when she was younger. Turns out she's a Chow, Italian greyhound, GSP, Shar pei, and Lhasa. Funniest results ever. Hubby really wants to know what he is - for kicks and giggles - so I'm sure we will do the test on him at some point. :)

Has anyone used wisdom panel? I can't for the life of me remember what one I used before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think we used Wisdom Panel, results came back with Doberman, Weimaraner, Akita, Catahoula Leopard, and a couple others. Could be right, who knows!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Aww, he is adorable! I kind see where you are getting beagle, maybe that's in the mix. :) I also can agree with the others on the shepherd/husky type. Enjoy these next few months! They are going to fly by.

BTW, beautiful cat!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! Zodiac (cat) is a handful, lol.

I'm not sure if I should ask this here, or make another thread. Any guesses on how large he'll be? Like I said - the shelter said he was 12 weeks, but he seems younger to me. :-/ I was trying to google pictures of different breeds at different ages to see some comparisons, but I'm drawing a blank. I'd love it if he turned out to be a bigger dog. xD

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good luck guessing! When we got Maverick at 10 weeks, he was about 5lbs. Vet said he would be about 40 full grown. He hit 65 the other day and I swear he grows more each day! Looks like he will be a decent size (+/- 40-50lbs), front legs look thick enough to hold some weight.

Take lots of pictures when hes young, they grow super fast!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ That's actually encouraging! I don't have an accurate weight on him, but I'm guesstimating 5lbs or so currently. All the "adult weight calculators" are saying he'll end up being a 15 (ish) lb dog. I choked when I read that. LOL. We'd love him regardless, of course, but we're not really small dog people. xD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts