Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We are trying everything to help save our seven month old pug. He's had four types of worms and this last one has yet to be identified by any vet in our area. All treatments have failed. We desperately need your help.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think you should contact a veterinary school or website that has a lot of veterinarians or vet techs. This site seems to have more dog trainers and people who do dog sports. I can't help you but those resources might help.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
This might sound silly in light of trying to poison the worms with drugs. But have you tried food grade diatomaceous earth? I read that adding a bit to the dogs food every day helps get rid of internal parasites.

Even if it didn't completely get rid of the worms, it might keep them reduced down enough until a drug can be found to kill them and stop the cycle of them them coming back.

Stormy

Reactions: fruit loop

·
Registered
113 Posts
Find a veteranarian university in your area. We have one and all hard cases go to them. They have tones of equipment and endless researchers (students).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FL Dept of Agriculture ID'd the worm as Spirometra

FL Dept of Agriculture ID'd the worm as Spirometra. We are told there's only one type of drug that has a remote chance of killing the worms but it could kill the dog in the process. :(

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Before I tried the poison, I would try the diatomacious earth! There are vets and others out there who say it works. But, I suppose because it's not a drug, it doesn't get a lot of attention from the medical profession.

Sorry you and your dog are going though this....and hope everything turns out ok.

Stormy

·
Registered
191 Posts
According to the merck veterinary manual:
Infections with Spirometra sp in dogs and cats can be treated with praziquantel at 7.5 mg/kg, PO, for 2 consecutive days. Spirometra sp infections in cats can also be treated with a single dose of praziquantel at 30 mg/kg, SC, IM, or PO. Mebendazole at 11 mg/kg, PO, has also been successful. All these treatments are extra-label.

praziquantel is generally considered safe. Why would the treatment kill the dog? Does the dog have such a severe infection that it would be adversely affected by killing off the worms?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts