Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Our delightful (but somewhat anxious) 4 year old cairn terrier is a puzzle. He has the habit of barking sharply as we walk away from easy, calm interactions with people and/or other dogs on our daily, neighborhood walks. Also, if he doesn't get to interact (if we avoid by walking across street, or simply keeping the leashed dogs apart as we pass) he often barks ferociously after we have passed them. We simply do not understand the dog psychology here. Why is he barking?

We understand why he barks at squirrels. We understand why he goes crazy barking each day the mailman tromps up onto our porch and puts mail in the box hanging on our entryway wall. We understand why he barks at dogs on the tv. But we do not understand why he would become ferocious after having a gentle, sweet interaction with a little child (we let them give him treats). It is so startling! He has the loudest bark for a little dog!

We use different leashes. His easy hook onto collar leash is for hanging out on the front porch and he no longer balks for that. If it's "go for a ride in the car" he runs and sits still to have carrier vest put on. But even though he loves walking through the neighborhood, he has never liked putting on this leash (runs away to his safe spot and has to be carried to sofa to have walking collar and leash put on). He grew up with large family of cairns (beautifully socialized; german shepherd best friend) and was a show dog (he is an AKC champion so clearly familiar with leashes). He is not yet neutered (stud). He came to live with us at 9 months. He is our second cairn terrier.

Thank you for reading! I'm pretty sure that the problem is us; the humans. Thanks for any advice, explanation, direction. This is my first ever post on the forum. I have watched several videos and read stickies about impulse control here on the site and am feeling like I've totally landed in the right place!!

:) Iris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Kelly. Tantrum throwing definitely sounds plausible; hadn't really thought about him as having tantrums, but yeah.... could be. We have met other dogs and people who have invited playdates, so we will take them up on that and see if that helps. Today he barked/moved at a runner passing us on the sidewalk; usually he reserves that for the ones who run up behind him unannounced. sigh....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts