Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden today, our foster girl (Lahsa Apso, 8 years, spayed, little overweight) has eaten her own poo, as soon as she can after laying it down. She has always shown interest in what she left behind her and we always gently pulled her away because we thought she'd step in it, never (until today) realizing she wanted to eat it.

I feed her Blue Buffalo small kibbles for small breeds. She is a little overweight, according to her weight she is allowed 3/4 to 1 Cup per day, and I dilligently feed her 3/4 C per day altho she would love to eat twice that much. Sofar, in about 6 -7 weeks I don't see much result, she still looks a little bit overweight, even tho we take several walks with her every day. But I really don't want to feed her less than the 3/4 C, she is always very VERY obviously around me when I am preparing any meals for us or for her, and is very hungry when I give her her food.

Besides her Blue Buffalo kibble she gets several organic baby carrots, and sometimes her stool is a little orange-y, would that account for her "appatite"? I read about adding pineapple to her food, is that supposed to make her stool less tasty?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Milli.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
It sounds like she probably had the habit before coming to y'all and just hasn't had the opportunity to practice it.

Pineapple, fresh pineapple is best but frozen or canned in juice not syrup, makes the poo less appetizing to some dogs, meat tenderizer may also work, but it may not work. It's sort of hit or miss. The best bet is prevention.

For her needing to lose weight you can try feeding her a little less then the lowest recommended amount on the bag, and feed her veggies to help her feel full. Carrots (like your giving her), and green beans are good options. Fruit in moderation is also a good, low cal, snack. If she's bolting her food you could try feeding her from one of the bowls that's designed to make dogs eat slower, you can buy them or make your own, another thing to try is feeding her from a food puzzle or kong. Eating slower may help her feel fuller.

My boy is elderly and practically sedentary I feed him around 1/2 cup less then what the bag recommends for his weight, and he maintains his weight on it which is ideal for his size. When he was younger and high energy I was feeding him the lowest amount recommended on the bag.

Reactions: FosterMom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Green beans.

Thank you for your reply.

I have no problem giving her the carrots. I was not overdoing it because I'm not sure if there are con's on feeding her raw carrots. What I understand from your answer is, that there are no con's, I could probably lower the 3/4 cup slowly with half of a 1/4 C for a while, in the meantime give her some more carrots and green beans but I assume the green beans need to be cooked, right?

Worth giving it a try. She is the sweetest dog we have ever fostered, her only real fault is she barks at strangers, and so far that has deterred 2 prospect adopters. But I'm working on it.

I will also try the pine apple. I'm a little worried about how to check if it works :D though ...

Thank you again!

Milli

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
You're welcome!

If she's active, I'd not lower it by 1/4, I'd try 1/8 and see how she does then go from there. The reason I feed my boy so much less then the recommended amount is he's asleep a good 80% of the time and if he's nearly always laying down. He does get treats at least once a day, and I add a topper to his food that gives him some extra calories.

I'm honestly not sure if you can overdo the carrots or not, but as far as I know the green beans you can't. You don't have to cook the greenbeans you can give them to her frozen or raw. You can cook sweet potatoes for her, or buying them dehydrated and using them as a treat, rotating them with the carrots. Try asking about how many carrots you can give her in the food forum, I'm sure someone will be able to answer, I tried doing a forum search but so far all I'm finding is that you can give dogs carrots LOL.

LOL, yeah finding out if the pineapple works or not will have to be done the hard way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carrots and Green beans: yum!!

Our Sashi obviously has decided that eating poop is not really her thing... She doesn't try it anymore although I watch her very carefully when she sits down to do her thang.

I have no idea what brought it on inthe first place, let alone I have an idea what made her stop but thankfully, she has stopped. I didn't do the pine apple thing, so again, no clue what made her change..

I am feeding her green beans and baby carrots together with her 2 meals she gets daily. She gets more than enough exersize but I honestly cannot say I can see a difference. I will weigh her to see if there has been any weight loss as soon as I get to the vet's street.

Thank you for all your advise!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.