Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
951 Posts
I read an article that stated buying poodle mixes was unethical because so many were bred by irresponsible breeders and then ended up in shelters. However, it failed to mention that the same thing happens to all other breeds of dogs as well.
Yes, many other breeds end up in shelters. My experience and opinion points to those who are creating 'designer dogs' are producing dogs with little regard for the dog and only as a stream of income. Note that this isn't a special category for hybrid 'designer dogs' but also for certain classes of purebred breeders - especially those advertising 'teacup' varieties or special rare nonstandard colors.

We have six poodle mixes and one pure poodle, because of allergies in the family. While I know poodle mixes don't always work against allergies, it helps with my families allergies and so we are very thankful for that. The article said this was not true and they didn't help with allergies, however.

The article also claimed they did not always behave properly, but all dogs are individuals no matter what. All our dogs are unique, but all of them are wonderful. Cinnamon, my miniature goldendoodle, is the most loyal, sweetest, most intelligent doggy ever and is always there when I need him.
Many dogs can behave improperly. Many hybrids can behave properly. As can many purebreds and as can many shelter mutts. Many goldendoodle producers have been saying the goldendoodle is specifically better on this regard. This is false. As many goldendoodle producers trying to cash in on the craze simply acquire the cheapest parents they can find, designer dogs and other 'fashion breeds' are a real risk for carrying genes that impact their behavior in a negative way in spite of solid training.

You can't counter the legitimate argument that there is a greater risk of flaws by saying all sorts of dogs can be flawed when someone criticizes the goldendoodles as a whole for falsely pushing the idea they were special

It is certainly true that you can't predict their size completely, Cinnamon is 50 lbs and was suppose to be 30 lbs, but our family doesn't mind, because all our doodles are so gentle, from our 15 lb maltese mix to our 90 lb golden retriever mix. They are highly intelligent, gentle with most other pets, love to learn tricks, and another great thing is that during the winter they can grow thick coats to keep warm and they can then be shaved short in the summer and still look so handsome and cute!
While it doesn't matter to you, nevertheless it is a flaw.

I guess I wrote all this just because I felt a little hurt when someone told me that doodle dogs weren't friendly, healthy or useful, when that is so not true about our dogs. There are so many ethical, wonderful doodle dog breeders out there, and mix-breed dogs are often healthier then pure dogs because of hybrid vigor (heterosis). All dogs have faults, but I can't imagine life without our pack.
#1 Hybrid vigor in dogs is either non-existent or is unrelated to dog health as we generally understand it. There are some studies that show that dogs with hybrid vigor are slightly smaller than would be directly predicted by parent size, and smaller size generally leads to longer lives, but that' not what most people consider 'more healthy'.

#2 Two dogs with poor genetic health bred together will produce offspring with poor genetic health, regardless if those two dogs are the same breed, different breed, or mutts. In animals that do exhibit a high degree of hybrid vigor, this is leveraged by choosing particularly high quality and healthy examples of each breed, it is well known that hybrid vigor cannot overcome flaws from poor breeding stock.

#3 the reason mutts got a reputation for being healthy was two-fold. Less chance of getting a duplicate bad gene due to less chance of the parents being closely related, but mainly because those who were genetically weaker died. Either they didn't survive as strays or the working class who needed working dogs put down the unhealthy ones because they weren't as good at doing the tasks needed as the healthy ones were. Raw survival of the fittest.

Also, for the record the person who created the labradoodle has stated that he regrets the decision because of how many unethical breeders jumped on the bandwagon he started with various mixes linked to cutezy names who were churning out crap dogs. I really challenge your assertion that there are so many ethical designer dog breeders out there, especially in the face of what the originator of the 'designer dog trend' states.

· Registered
951 Posts
I had helped a cockapoo with getting a new home. She needed homed, I had the space, and I helped. It wasn't long after I got her, this board was bashing cockapoos. It didn't matter how much I Stood up for her, I was always met with how "horrible" they are. Mine was great. All others Ive seen were great. But the bashing continued. Everyone is so sure that these designer dogs are such an issue!! No, they are not. Quit calling them designer dogs for one. .
Okay, I couldn't read all of that, the wall of text with no paragraphs was a bit much.

I'd still like to point some things out.

A poodle and a lab make a pup, a poodle and a cockerspaniel make a pup, no one is saying those pups are bad. No one is calling for all cockapoos to be rounded up and euthanize.

What people are objecting to is

#1 claiming a mutt is 'special' because it has a cutziy name. 50 year ago there were poodles getting pregnant via cocker spaniels, and those dogs were mutts. Nothing has changed.

#2 Designer dogs have been touted as being wonder dogs, taking the best of both breeds and putting it in one package. (Lies. You can get the worst of both breeds in one package too). Claiming greater health due to hybrid vigor (lies as well) and claiming the dogs as somehow better than both generic mutts and purebreds. (lies)

Now, people are promoting the truth, and that's that 'designer dogs' are A. nothing special. B. often bred by people who are doing a disservice to dogs and owners alike by just churning out dogs for profit with no consideration for the health of the dog, etc. (Note, they are not the only ones doing this, but that doesn't change the fact that they ARE doing it)

Further they absolutely ARE 'designer dogs'. They are exactly what that word was coined to mean.

What's more, by you choosing to call a poodle x cockerspaniel mixed mutt a cockapoo, you are enabling the idea that these 'designer dogs' are something special.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.