Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Delilah- Jack Russell x Rat Terrier; Marshmellow- Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
2,841 Posts
They also prey on people who believe they are getting a "hypoallergenic" dog, when we know that such a dog does not exist.
That's not true, "hypo" means "less," not "non." A lot of dogs are in fact hypoallergenic.

My number one biggest problem with all of the Poodle mixes is simply that all of the desired traits can be found in the Poodle.
I disagree, all of the doodles I've met in my area have a different temperament from the poodles in my area. I think the poodles around here must be poorly bred because they're all neurotic, anxious animals. Maybe they're fine in a home environment, but in daycares at least they don't seem to do as well as other breeds/mixes including doodles. The crossing seems to help with this issue. I'm sure a well bred poodle would be different, but they seem pretty sensitive in general, and some of the breeds they're crossed with seem to balance that out. Nothing wrong with a sensitive dog, but it's not for everyone.
Plus, some people just have different preferences. If someone wanted a poodle, they would have gotten a poodle. I don't really see what's it to you whether or not someone wants a particular type of dog.

@GitaBooks I'd get used to that attitude around here. Every so often a crossbred bashing thread will pop up and you just can't let it bother you because nothing you say will change anyone's opinion. They get so hung up about purebreds, and believe crosses are so inferior they should only be adopted as unwanted dogs from shelters/rescues. It has alienated a number of members with crossbred dogs.

I will agree with them to some extent though. It is difficult to find a reputable breeder of crossbred dogs. I tried finding a cockapoo breeder a couple years ago and I found one that looked okay but didn't answer any questions I had regarding the health and temperament of her dogs. I don't agree with those who say that any breeder that breeds crosses is automatically a bad breeder. I also think that there are plenty of terrible purebred breeders out there as well and the issue isn't with what people are breeding but rather how they go about doing it. This designer dog debate detracts from the real problem of irresponsible breeding in general.

· Registered
Delilah- Jack Russell x Rat Terrier; Marshmellow- Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
2,841 Posts
True, but based on the majority of breeders I've looked at, they really play up the idea that a Hypoallergenic dog causes no allergies. I can only give my opinion based on breeders I've spoken to/people who have bought from particular breeders.

It must vary greatly from region to region, as I've met nothing but wonderful Poodles, and over the top "goldendoodles". I'm not against people buying the dog they want at all, I just haven't met an ethical Goldendoodle breeder. That also is not to say that there aren't unethical "purebred" dog breeders either (See "Miniature or Toy Aussies").

I certainly have not seen that attitude around here, especially since I would say the majority of people on here have mixed breed dogs. I never owned a purebred dog until I got Levi, and I loved all my mixed breed dogs growing up.

Well of course you haven't noticed. But you would notice something if every time someone made a thread about your dog's breed/mix/type it was nothing but negative. A bunch of people ganging up and talking about how horrible it is that people breed your dog's type and how everything that people say about them is a lie when those people have limited experience with these dogs and certainly haven't owned one, and still try to argue with the people that do! It doesn't happen every week, maybe every few weeks, every few months. I've been here a few years and I've seen my fair share of them. The OP's a newer member and already she's noticed the negative attitude. So I think if you had a dog and people have literally told you here that you were an idiot for buying it, then you would notice too. I mean, come on, we even have a sticky in the breed section (which has some misinformation in it btw) about how awful it is to buy a mixed breed when there ARE good breeders out there- they are harder to find though, I'll give you that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.