Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
The main culprits are the lab x poodle mixes and the golden x poodle mixes. These designer dogs are very often falsely marketed and their breeders rely on ignorance. I'll come back and post the website later but I have seen "English teddy bear golden doodles" being sold for 8,000 dollars. It's absolutely a scam.

Most people are buying these dogs because they want a dog that doesn't shed. When you mix a high shedding dog with a low shedding dog you don't automatically produce a dog that doesn't shed.

People are buying these dogs because they don't like the poodle look. When I let my poodle's hair grow out...everyone thinks she's a doodle.

People are buying these dogs because they are supposed to be healthier. They are not.

People are buying these dogs because they want a "lab personality" with "poodle hair". I don't think many have met well bred standard poodles. My girl has a perfect temperament, which isn't hard to find in standard poodles.

I think the most non-sensical thing of all is that the the most expensive, most desired and "most guaranteed" doodles are the multi generational ones bred back to poodles again. So people are walking around with dogs that are 75% or 87.5% poodle, that they paid more for, and would refuse to get a poodle. Makes no sense.

The Aussie labby goldy bordie doodle marketing relies on ignorance of the standard poodle breed. The dog they are creating already exists.

· Registered
397 Posts
Minis and toys do not represent standard poodles IMO. They are massed produced from poor lines and most I see are extremely neurotic.

All poodles are supposed to have the same temperament but bad breeding and over popularity of the smaller poodles have resulted in shaky temperaments.

· Registered
397 Posts
There isn't much logic behind the golden labra doodle craze. Most people just like the look and the low shedding promise.

This is a 100% standard poodle. Most people don't associate poodles with this look. If they did, there wouldn't be such a stigma behind owning "just a poodle". Instead people would rather own a 75% or 87.5% poodle that's called a doodle. Again, only talking about the golden and lab mixes.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.