Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So about 5 months ago she showed up at our house. I don't know if she was dumped or what. We took her in and put her with the other dogs in the fenced yard.

She was doing fine in the yard until about a month ago. Now she jumps the fence and gets out. She doesn't run away, but runs around outside, and down the street. She would eventually get hit by a car or shot, so we put up an electric wire to keep her in, and it worked. She can't get out. But she won't stay in the yard, she jumps in the foyer area which is how you get to the yard and also how you leave the foyer because there is a door to the car port.

So she has been living in the foyer for the past couple of days and she tore all of the trim up on the door.

From what I have read she is doing this to get our attention because she wants to be with us and wants her owners attention. Whenever I go out and visit with her you can see it in her eyes that she wants to come in the house. But it's just not an option because there's no room. We'll put her back in the yard but she jumps the gate and stays in the foyer. And earlier today I heard her kind of cry a couple times.

I have no clue what to do here. I don't want her tearing up stuff, and I want her to be happy in her yard. She has three other dogs in there with her.

I'm lost as to what to do. I would really appreciate any input.

Thank you.

·
Registered
911 Posts
She isn't doing it to get attention. She may want to be with her people. Even though she has other dogs for company she still probably wants to be with you or other family living there. Some dogs just want to be on the other side of the fence, sometimes to wander other times it's hard to say because they don't go far. One other thing, is she spayed? If not she could be in heat and looking for a male. Females will actively look for a mate, it's not just the males that come looking for the girl. If she is in heat you really want to bring her inside to avoid an accidental pregnancy. Then, since she is an outdoor dog you would want to have her spayed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Perhaps you can clarify-

Do all four dogs stay outside? Or do some come inside the house?

I do think your dog sounds lonely. Most dogs really want to be with their people, wherever the action is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She isn't doing it to get attention. She may want to be with her people. Even though she has other dogs for company she still probably wants to be with you or other family living there. Some dogs just want to be on the other side of the fence, sometimes to wander other times it's hard to say because they don't go far. One other thing, is she spayed? If not she could be in heat and looking for a male. Females will actively look for a mate, it's not just the males that come looking for the girl. If she is in heat you really want to bring her inside to avoid an accidental pregnancy. Then, since she is an outdoor dog you would want to have her spayed.
Perhaps you can clarify-

Do all four dogs stay outside? Or do some come inside the house?

I do think your dog sounds lonely. Most dogs really want to be with their people, wherever the action is.
Thank you both for commenting.

She is spaid and has all her shots.

All the dogs in the yard with her are permanent outside dogs. None of them come in the house.

I kinda thought she just wanted to be with us. What can I do? What if I let her in the house for a couple hours and then put her back out? Or would that make it worse. I have no idea how to address this.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I do think it will help if you spend more time with her, either inside or outside.

How much physical and mental exercise do you provide? This is really important, both for bonding with your dog and burning off your dog's energy. Without it, most dogs will go nuts.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've never had an outside dog. My dogs are always in with me, or on nice days we are all out together. So I don't have personal experience. If she wants your company than the only thing I can think of is to spend time with her. Play, training, walks are all good things to do. But if she isn't happy outside, and you can't bring her inside then maybe you should at least think about whether or not that is the best home for her.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How hard did you try to find the owner in case she has a good one somewhere?

It sounds like your dogs are used to being outside and she came from a home where she was allowed in the house.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I kinda thought she just wanted to be with us. What can I do? What if I let her in the house for a couple hours and then put her back out? Or would that make it worse. I have no idea how to address this.
I don't know how to make an inside dog an outside dog..or if it's even possible.

But yes, letting her in for a few hours and then back out will make her worse.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It sounds like she came from a home in which she is used to being inside with her people. Have the shelters been notified in case the previous owners are looking for her?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oops, reread my post and it may have come across as judge-y. Sorry! Didn't mean to come across like that. I think it is nice that you did give her a home if she didn't have one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oops, reread my post and it may have come across as judge-y. Sorry! Didn't mean to come across like that. I think it is nice that you did give her a home if she didn't have one.
Agreed, I mean there are thousands of homeless dogs stuck in shelters with their only human contact being when they get fed...but that doesn't even mean they're getting petted. An outside dog that isn't being abused or starved isn't the worst home in the world.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
get better fencing to stop her.
You can train a dog to stay where you want them to be when you're with them, but i don't think you can reliably expect them to not go to other places when you make it easy for them to get out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know and expect indignant responses. I have 2 dogs one jumps the fence and danger is she will get hurt.Worse than that its possible, the puppy Shepard/Rott, and is gentle will jump fence and cause who knows what.I am looking at limited options.. Dare I say Id like feedback from anyone who has actual experience with above ground electric fences.. Indignant responses are welcome but will not help me or dogs out..

·
Registered
437 Posts
I know and expect indignant responses. I have 2 dogs one jumps the fence and danger is she will get hurt.Worse than that its possible, the puppy Shepard/Rott, and is gentle will jump fence and cause who knows what.I am looking at limited options.. Dare I say Id like feedback from anyone who has actual experience with above ground electric fences.. Indignant responses are welcome but will not help me or dogs out..
ps.. Frustrated . I wont be doing this. I cant bring myself to doing it
My boyfriend's mother used to use an electric fence for her two lab(maybe?) puppies once they got pretty big. Levi minded the fence, it made a loud beep before it was close enough to shock, but Hunter would plow right through it to get to whatever he wants, and then cry and pace because he was too afraid to get back into our yard once the excitement of whatever he was chasing died down. She eventually stopped using it. From what I've heard this is a common occurrence with electric fences.

I'm not sure what your second post means but I hope this helps, and I understand the frustration, we've been trying to build a bigger fenced in area for Hunter and Levi but its very expensive and we are all weary that Hunter will be able to escape anyways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We didn't look for the owner. Dogs get dumped out here a lot. We tried looking for the owners on previous situations and it went nowhere.

So she's still climbing into the foyer. So there are two options I can think of:

1. Bring her to the vet and put her up for adoption. I'm really hesitant to do this because I'm concerned she will not get a good home and will be mistreated or dumped. She's attached to us now and I just don't know if I can put her up for adoption knowing how much she wants to be with us.

On the other hand, we have a lot of animals to care for, and I don't know if I'm up for another one in the house. I don't know what to do here.

2. We bath her and let her stay inside. This is what she wants. And she seems to be house trained. But again, I just don't know if I'm up for the extra work. But on the other hand, I dont know if I'll be able to sleep at night knowing we sent her off and not knowing where she is.

I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
343 Posts
We didn't look for the owner. Dogs get dumped out here a lot. We tried looking for the owners on previous situations and it went nowhere.

So she's still climbing into the foyer. So there are two options I can think of:

1. Bring her to the vet and put her up for adoption. I'm really hesitant to do this because I'm concerned she will not get a good home and will be mistreated or dumped. She's attached to us now and I just don't know if I can put her up for adoption knowing how much she wants to be with us.

On the other hand, we have a lot of animals to care for, and I don't know if I'm up for another one in the house. I don't know what to do here.

2. We bath her and let her stay inside. This is what she wants. And she seems to be house trained. But again, I just don't know if I'm up for the extra work. But on the other hand, I dont know if I'll be able to sleep at night knowing we sent her off and not knowing where she is.

I don't know what to do.
Maybe you can contact a rescue that might be able to help? You can foster the pup until a suitable home is found? Or go with option 2 and bring the dog inside on a trail basis. She might end up fitting in nicely in the house and not much extra work at all. At least better about you constantly worrying about her jumping the fence, etc. If she doesn't work out inside then you can go the rescue route..

3rd option would be to try and rehome her yourself. That way you'll have some control over what family she ends up with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
3rd option would be to try and rehome her yourself. That way you'll have some control over what family she ends up with.
Not really. Google all the "Dog Flipping" stories out there. Sociopaths manage to convince people they're great people, have a house, a yard and kids..they'll even bring their kids to meet the dog.... yet the dog ends up resold for a profit or put in a dog fight.

At least Rescues try and do all the work to weed ****ty owners out yet they still manage to deny applications from good people.

It depends on your vet if they'd help. Some vets work with rescues or shelters and some do not... Some just put your flyer on their wall.

Turbolag, you're obviously attached to her at this point. Give her a chance in the house. She might not be that much work. She might just lie there all day. If you don't want her having free run of the place then see if she'll stay gated in an area.

·
Registered
176 Posts

I don't know what to do.
I've had dogs in my house for years. Sometimes, things get a little furry and messy. Fur everywhere. But you get attached to it and learn to love it, because you bond with your dog and love them so much.

Your dog wants to bond with you, give it a try. You might be glad you did. You might find yourself snuggling up at night with your dog at the foot of your bed. It's great. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.