Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have our rescue dog for about 4 days now and he had shown a lot of improvement these past few days. He comes to me when I call him and follows me around. But when my husband calls on him, our dog won't even go near him.

We made it a habit that my husband would fill his food bowl in the morning before he heads to work. But I also noticed that when I come home during lunch time, his food is left untouched. I thought it's because of his eating schedule, that he must not be hungry yet. But I know he hasn't eaten in a long time so I knew he's hungry so what I did was return the kibbles back in our bin and brought him a fresh bowl of food then he started eating. This has been the pattern for the last 2 days.

Tonight for dinner I asked my husband to fill our dog's food bowl and feed him. Our dog approached but he kept pushing the kibbles out of his bowl like he's getting rid of them. My husband asked me to give our dog a fresh bowl of food just to test it out and when I did, our dog started eating. What could this mean? my husband has been all nice to our dog but since he has a long commute to work, he doesn't get to spend as much time with our dog as I do.

Any tips on how to correct this?

·
Registered
911 Posts
You've only had your dog a few days, he needs times to really settle in, and that could take months. Also do you know his past? He could of had a bad experience with a man/men. Also some dogs are more uneasy around men, whether it's the deeper voice or something else I'm not sure. I would have your husband get really great treats that only he gives and have him randomly toss the dog treats. Also you can have him feed the dog, a healthy dog will not starve itself.

Reactions: jemimahc

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your husband could also try training the dog, even if it's just for a few minutes. Try just with the dogs name first. Your husband can say the dogs name and give him some REALLY tasty human food, like chicken, beef or cheese. Then gradually move to calling him from other places in the room. Most dogs won't give up the opportunity for human food. Then to things like "sit" and "down". This may help your dog warm up to him faster and bond, if he's at work a lot.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Some dogs won't eat when left alone as they get stressed. So I would make more time and stay with the dog whilst he's eating. Or maybe he isn't used to eating in the morning.

Some dogs don't like eating out of a bowl - my boss's border terrier tips the food out so it spreads all over the floor and then he eats it - maybe the dog feels vulenrable with his nose/mouth enclosed by a bowl? Or the 'fresh bowl of food' might be a ritual the dog got used to. Who knows.

I would just go with the flow for now, your dog needs to learn to adjust and relax in his new home.

Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your husband could also try training the dog, even if it's just for a few minutes. Try just with the dogs name first. Your husband can say the dogs name and give him some REALLY tasty human food, like chicken, beef or cheese. Then gradually move to calling him from other places in the room. Most dogs won't give up the opportunity for human food. Then to things like "sit" and "down". This may help your dog warm up to him faster and bond, if he's at work a lot.
Just don't let him get used to this, my friend had similar problem, he tried with this, but it got worse, because he was getting his attention only with human food...
My advice is to hold on with this for a little more, week or two, and if nothing changes, then your husband should try this...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just don't let him get used to this, my friend had similar problem, he tried with this, but it got worse, because he was getting his attention only with human food...
My advice is to hold on with this for a little more, week or two, and if nothing changes, then your husband should try this...

Oh I never thought of that, thank you. Buster has a good point. :)

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Just give the dog some time :) as another poster said, it could take months before your dog is comfortable and showing his true colors. My pup didn't wag her tail for the first 4 months that I had her. Now, she's the happiest girl around!

I would have your husband give a really high value treat anytime the dog goes to him. Show the dog that good things come from this guy! I wouldn't worry about the dog 'getting to used to' the treats. Whenever I'm teaching my girl something new or working on something that she struggles with, I use cheese or hot dogs as her treat. This doesn't affect her eating her kibble and it doesn't affect her taking 'normal' dog treats.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks the suggestion everyone! Our dog was rescued from a breeder where we think he was used as a stud. My speculation is that his old handler must be a man who did not treat our dog right.

We're going to try the different suggestions with special treating with my husband. Last night I also thought that maybe my husband should take over taking care of the dog when he gets home from work so our dog gets used to the fact that if he needs something at night, he should get used to my husband taking care of it.

Really appreciate it! Hopefully we see progress even if it slowly comes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks the suggestion everyone! Our dog was rescued from a breeder where we think he was used as a stud. My speculation is that his old handler must be a man who did not treat our dog right.

We're going to try the different suggestions with special treating with my husband. Last night I also thought that maybe my husband should take over taking care of the dog when he gets home from work so our dog gets used to the fact that if he needs something at night, he should get used to my husband taking care of it.

Really appreciate it! Hopefully we see progress even if it slowly comes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.