Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what happens when we purchase the puppy?

Meaning from what I have read,this is done by all reputable breeders,and helps in the process to locate the owner if the dog gets lost and is found by someone.

So my question is, when we offically"purchase" the dog, are the details for the microchip going to be changed by the breeder to our name and address, or do they keep it in their name?

(I don't want to "assume" anything, but I would think it's changed, but I rather ask).

Thanks all!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My breeder sent paperwork home with my puppy that told me how to update the information on the chip to my information. She does not change it herself for any of her puppy buyers, but she does want us to put our own information in. You will have to do it yourself, so your breeder should tell you how. Or if you know what kind of chip your puppy has and what his chip number is, you can go to the chip’s website and do it.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
My breeder sent paperwork home with my puppy that told me how to update the information on the chip to my information. She does not change it herself for any of her puppy buyers, but she does want us to put our own information in. You will have to do it yourself, so your breeder should tell you how. Or if you know what kind of chip your puppy has and what his chip number is, you can go to the chip’s website and do it.
Yep. This is what my dog's rescue does; the information on the chip initially correlates with them but they want owners to change the info to their own.

They put their info in first because an alarming amount of people don't change it, and they've had multiple instances where dogs have either been dumped or ended up in pounds across the country, are scanned, and that rescue can then be contacted to either try and get in touch with the owner or (in most cases, sadly) try to bring the dog back.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The rescue that I foster for puts in their information and they like it kept that way. I don't know if owners can add an additional contact to the rescue's. Unfortunately it's not all that uncommon for the rescue to be contacted by a shelter about a former rescue dog/cat that was adopted out and then brought in to a shelter and dropped off, or even picked up on the street and not claimed. The chip gets scanned, the rescue gets contacted and they go pick up the pet from the shelter.

The rescue requests adopters to notify them if their number or address changes and they keep their contact information updated.

I get your point about wanting only your info on the chip, but I also understand the other view.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts