Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Aloof Lab

Tags
aloof lab
4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Shadowmom 
#1 ·
After the passing of our wonderful Lab two years ago, my wife became extremely depressed. Being a responsive husband, I contacted a breeder thru AKC and we bought a new Yellow Lab. Looks really identical, and my wife was all smiles.

Unfortunately - no two dogs are alike. Teddy is not a very lovable dog. We love him tremendously - but he just lays around all day, and when we come from outside, he hardly lifts his head from the couch. He could care less.

Basically our life with Teddy is feeding him and walking him. We do bring him to work with us where he sleeps on the floor all day.

He is 2 years old exactly.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

MARK

#3 ·
HELLO, and thanks for your response.

We've had our dog to the Vet on a regular, normal cycle of visits and shots.

All of his physical characteristics, including eating, defecating etc. are all as they've always been.

As prescribed by our Vet, we feed him HILLS SCIENCE, ADULT LARGE BREED, LIGHT-DRY dog food. We feed him 1-cup, 3 times daily.

Wife just reminded me that we've had very thorough tests performed on him by our vet. All is well.

MARK

#5 ·
I'd almost say count your lucky stars, but that's a little too laid back for a lab. Most owners are begging their lab to calm down.

I agree on the Hills Science diet, that's 3 words that shouldn't go together in the same sentence IMO. I'd try a better quality food, see if that perks him up.

#8 ·
Thanks again folks...

His only time of true, intense excitement is in meeting and playing with other dogs. He's always on the look out to meet dogs on our walks. He's extremely submissive, lies down for the approaching dogs.

New people don't interest him either.

Teddy had a problem w/diarrhea reoccurring when he was very young - and so the doctor thought the HILLS SCIENCE was the best solution. His digestion is now perfect. Before that he was on NATURAL BALANCE VENISON GRAIN-FREE SWEET POTATO food.

Mark

#9 ·
Teddy had a problem w/diarrhea reoccurring when he was very young - and so the doctor thought the HILLS SCIENCE was the best solution. His digestion is now perfect. Before that he was on NATURAL BALANCE VENISON GRAIN-FREE SWEET POTATO food.

Mark
Sounds like you could take him to a local dog park and give him a thrill. Science diet should be a temporary fix not a permanent fix. Natural balance is also a poor choice because the potato is the main ingredient. A higher protein food would be a better choice for long term care. The meat protein builds lean muscle mass where the high filler foods build fat. The lean muscle is the healthier choice. Also I would divide the food in 2 and only feed twice a day. 3 times is for puppies under a year old.

#10 ·
What do you do in terms of training? In my opinion, training (whether it is for obedience, agility, or just fun tricks) is a great way to increase/enhance the bond between people and their pets.

#12 ·
You sound exactly like us. We had a beloved chocolate lab who passed so we got a yellow lab puppy. She is 4.5 months but is totally aloof. She loves other dogs but with us, she prefers to sit alone in the kitchen. Just as you said, I feel all we do is feed her and take her out (still during the night so we are very tired) but am not getting any return. Did your lab ever get more affectionate? I've never seen a lab like ours and it's very frustrating and disheartening.

#13 ·
My dog was like that and it turns out he has hypothyroidism. Just found out yesterday. He's only three.
He was only playing with his best buddies and no other dogs and sleeping all day. I did tons of things to bond with him. He likes playing find it and tug of war for a little bit. He'll play fetch for a few times for a squeaky and a lot of treats but doesn't really like it. I teach him tricks and give him belly rubs and rub behind his ears and do all kinds of his favorite things to bond with him, which definitely helped.

I fed my last dog Science Diet his whole life and he was healthy and shiny til he got a genetic spinal disease and died at almost twelve. Everyone hates it but it's the only good that I know of that's actually heavily researched and most vets recommend it. My cats have eaten it for decades too and been healthy. I see recalls for lots of the other expensive foods. This dog eats science diet prescription food too. He has ibd and food allergies too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.