Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the title says it all. clover is sort of a clod, and he really tramples feet...all the time. anybody have ideas for how to teach him not to? i've already tried yelping when he steps on my feet, but it doesn't phase him (if he mouths me and i yelp, he stops instantly) i've been trying to figure out how to teach him to pay more attention to what his feet are doing...any tips?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Wear rollerblades-all the time. They will stay clear of those :p

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I'm off to bed, not thinking brilliantly. But what if you kind of push him with your legs whenever he gets 'underfoot' ? (see you in the am! ...zzzzz)

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Teach "leg awareness"

Lay a ladder down flat and have him walk over it. At first they trip on it... Like they do with tires and football players....start shaping him to put a single foot on a book...and then make the book smaller and smaller....or a bowl...som' people use bowls. :)

YouTube - Lance the Corgi Tricks- Rear End Awareness

Kiwi and I do heeling exercises with her between my legs...she used to step on me constantly. Tippy does exercises where she stands with front feet on a book and has to walk with her back legs around the book.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
wow what a great idea!!!!My feet get trampled on ALL THE TIME I got the scratches to prove it! Not only that but they like to play fight right by my feet so I get bit in the process lol.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Teach "leg awareness"

Lay a ladder down flat and have him walk over it. At first they trip on it... Like they do with tires and football players....start shaping him to put a single foot on a book...and then make the book smaller and smaller....or a bowl...som' people use bowls. :)

Kiwi and I do heeling exercises with her between my legs...she used to step on me constantly. Tippy does exercises where she stands with front feet on a book and has to walk with her back legs around the book.
that is so funny, one thing that prompted my post was this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22dOf88RTiI

i was trying to think if there was something specific to your feet that was similar to this that would work! lol, does this mean that corgies are especially aware or unaware of their rear ends?

now i just need to find some stuff to get clover to walk through...thanks!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
that is so funny, one thing that prompted my post was this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22dOf88RTiI

i was trying to think if there was something specific to your feet that was similar to this that would work! lol, does this mean that corgies are especially aware or unaware of their rear ends?

now i just need to find some stuff to get clover to walk through...thanks!

I think that pretty much most of the "higher" training videos on youtube are border collies, aussies and corgies...thats why I like the Chick with the great dane so much...to me, personally, when I started training I was discouraged because all the dogs I was seeing where herding breeds, its nice to see other breeds, or mutts doing tricks because it on som' level makes the goal seem more real..

did that make any sence.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Teach "leg awareness"

okay so, we've been working on this...he is getting better at not tripping over the ladder (i only have a metal bunk bed ladder, but it works) haven't started to do the smaller and smaller books yet tho...that is next...but any tips for getting the dog to keep his front feet on the book and move his butt around?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
okay so, we've been working on this...he is getting better at not tripping over the ladder (i only have a metal bunk bed ladder, but it works) haven't started to do the smaller and smaller books yet tho...that is next...but any tips for getting the dog to keep his front feet on the book and move his butt around?
what happens if you walking in a circle around the book? Does he take his feet off?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
what happens if you walking in a circle around the book? Does he take his feet off?
yes, i may be moving too fast, we've only done 3 sessions w this, but he put both feet on the first time, almost immediatly (we've been playing 101 things w/ a box so he is starting to understand how to get me to click more and more:D) it was in the last session that i tried to move and he kept stepping off whenever i did...

funny thing tho, i forgot the book on the floor and clover took his chewie over to it set it on top of the book to chew...i was wondering "coincidence, or does he associate the book with good stuff"...it seemed deliberate, he did set the chewie on the book, then lay down to chew it....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
yes, i may be moving too fast, we've only done 3 sessions w this, but he put both feet on the first time, almost immediatly (we've been playing 101 things w/ a box so he is starting to understand how to get me to click more and more:D) it was in the last session that i tried to move and he kept stepping off whenever i did...

funny thing tho, i forgot the book on the floor and clover took his chewie over to it set it on top of the book to chew...i was wondering "coincidence, or does he associate the book with good stuff"...it seemed deliberate, he did set the chewie on the book, then lay down to chew it....

yeah, try slowing down...I don't take steps at first...I shuffle a little ...if that makes sence...that way the dog doesn't think Iam going to walk away.

is he short enough to heal between your legs? Thats a fun one to teach :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, try slowing down...I don't take steps at first...I shuffle a little ...if that makes sence...that way the dog doesn't think Iam going to walk away.

is he short enough to heal between your legs? Thats a fun one to teach :)
i was trying to find this cool vid of a gsd heeling between legs and stepping with the same foot at the same time, but i cant...anyway, we tried it today, and right now yes, but if he gets much taller it'll be a squeeze....

even just a slight shuffle and he moves off the book...maybe i need to make him stand there a bit longer each time before clicking? or more repititions before i try shuffling at all?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
i was trying to find this cool vid of a gsd heeling between legs and stepping with the same foot at the same time, but i cant...anyway, we tried it today, and right now yes, but if he gets much taller it'll be a squeeze....

even just a slight shuffle and he moves off the book...maybe i need to make him stand there a bit longer each time before clicking? or more repititions before i try shuffling at all?

Perhaps a bigger book? :confused:

when in doubt...back up a step and go slower.:)

I wish I had som' better tips...I never had this pop up personally.:ponder:

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
556 Posts
Laughing at this thread... Borzoi are not foot stompers but they do lean whether you are ready or not.. And so casual about it too! I swear their mentality is " why should I hold myself up when you can do it for me" type thing.. I will say a woman I know that works with danes alot says she uses cold wet socks on her feet. Dogs feel temps in their paws, and cold wet socks they learn to avoid your feet.. But uh well uh- the thought of cold wet socks on my feet- glad I dont have the issue I have to train..

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps a bigger book? :confused:

when in doubt...back up a step and go slower.:)

I wish I had som' better tips...I never had this pop up personally.:ponder:
yeah, i was thinking bigger book, i've been looking for stuff at thrift stores.....
Laughing at this thread... Borzoi are not foot stompers but they do lean whether you are ready or not.. And so casual about it too! I swear their mentality is " why should I hold myself up when you can do it for me" type thing.. I will say a woman I know that works with danes alot says she uses cold wet socks on her feet. Dogs feel temps in their paws, and cold wet socks they learn to avoid your feet.. But uh well uh- the thought of cold wet socks on my feet- glad I dont have the issue I have to train..
i think i'd avoid cold wet anything near my feet lol...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
556 Posts
Yea seriously- I could not imagine that one but she swears it works! I just stomp my feet if a dog gets too close to my feet- they learn to avoid it, but I do not have to do that with Borzoi but I did with Dane. ( stomp- stomp- and no stepped on toes..._ )

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.