Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 week old puppy is biting like crazy! I have tried giving her toys instead of my fingers, feet or clothing. I have screeched OUCH, pointed my finger at her and sternly said NO, she just jumped up and bit my finger. Today she was pretty wound up and running in circles but stopped long enough to bite me on the toe and draw blood. What do I do?? :confused:

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
My 11 week old puppy is biting like crazy! I have tried giving her toys instead of my fingers, feet or clothing. I have screeched OUCH, pointed my finger at her and sternly said NO, she just jumped up and bit my finger. Today she was pretty wound up and running in circles but stopped long enough to bite me on the toe and draw blood. What do I do?? :confused:
ROFLMAO..Yep she saw the pointing finger and said all right she is giving it to me...Yelp like a puppy and walk away.Go to the bathroom or another room you can close the door. Do not say anything as you walk away even if she is going after your feet. Stay a few seconds and come back out. If you make it no fun then she will not like doing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ROFLMAO..Yep she saw the pointing finger and said all right she is giving it to me...Yelp like a puppy and walk away.Go to the bathroom or another room you can close the door. Do not say anything as you walk away even if she is going after your feet. Stay a few seconds and come back out. If you make it no fun then she will not like doing it.
I didnt think about that, LOL she said hey something better to bite, thanks!! Grr..:dog-bone:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Human yelling = human is scary! (in soft dog's point of view); human is big squeaky toy or is barking back! (in energetic/confident dog's point of view)

Human patting/hitting/slapping dog muzzle or somewhere else = human is mean!! (soft dogs); human is pawning for more play! (confident dog)

Best things to do:
- never play with your body parts;
- always play with toys - dog will learn that toys are fun - play fetch, tug, flirt pole, football, and so on;
- encourage and interact gently - show how you like it without too much excitement but many gentle petting and massage with a happy tone of voice whenever dog is calm and gives licks;
- give dog toys to chew - it helps developing the habit of playing with toys by herself, and chew the stuffs she likes (you have to find what she really likes thought);
- teach "leave it", "wait", and train impulse control through these;
- if she doesn't listen to anything and is too insistent, leave the room for a while and return when she's calm;
- if time out is not practical, hold by scruff to distance her teeth and immobilize 'till she calms down and then resume play - this is not to punish, just immobilizing! She's not supposed to be afraid and you're not supposed to be angry when doing it. It's only supposed to teach that she can't reach your hands or arms if you don't want bites.

Mine was a shark and destroyer (well, he was teething and curious when he was young), but now he's happy with his own toys, interacts with me gently (comes wagging tail and happy look and licks for petting and not biting lol). Sometimes he still likes to steal toilet papers, but well, he's much better now that he still needs supervision but we can do our own stuffs without worrying much. We can watch a movie while he scatters his own toys through the living room lol.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would try grabbing the bottom of your puppies jaw (not enough to hurt, just to make them feel uncomfortable) when she bites you. Hold on with either your whole hand or two fingers for 10-15 seconds. Do that consistently and eventually she will be resistant to bite.
for me, the OUCH method of walking away didn't work. He would forget why I left in the first place, so he would spend the remainder of the day alone because he would never learn. He would also get excited when i would squeak like a puppy.
I tried squirt bottles, and that kind of worked, though he would be soaked afterwards.
I tried pulling him away, but he would bite my hand even harder with the hand that pulled his collar.
When i would ignore him, he would attack me.
This method works great for some puppies that just refuse to play nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts