Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, this is my first post! Our 3 year old, 30lb, very healthy rescue mix from the ASPCA, Winnie, started limping very badly recently-- front left paw and became slightly lethargic. Was eating fine, no fever but we took her to the very after 3 weeks of limping (we really thought it was sprained front paw and it would heal.) She tested positive for Lyme (even though we vaccinated her!!). She was put on a regimen of doxycycline and anti-inflammatory as rx by vet. Limp immediately went away! Had more much more energy!
But now... her other front paw is hurting. Not swollen like the left one, but she won't put weight on it and is licking it. Doesn't look swollen, and she didn't lick the other paw when it was hurting previously.
Is this a process of doxycycline and getting over Lyme's? Why would her other paw start hurting when the other immediately healed and seemed to be doing great on the antibiotics?!! We are so worried about Winnie.
We'll take her to the vet soon but I'd like to hear what the community thought. ...

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Was she prescribed 30 days of doxycycline and if so, did she finish the Rx?

If so, hopefully the new limp is not related to the Lymes, which should be gone now.

How is she feeling otherwise? Is she normally alert and happy, eating and drinking, peeing and pooping? If those are all normal, I would be encouraged.

Its good you are taking her for another vet check. Its what I would do, and hopefully you get reassurance from the vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's one week through the 30 day cycle so maybe it will improve? Seems weird she was 98% better then worse on a different paw. Otherwise she seems generally fine, maybe a little tired but it could be because she wants to rest the foot. I really thought she was all better after even just a day of the doxycycline, she seemed so good!! :(

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Only one week through the Rx... well there is a reason they do the 30 days to try to get rid of all those spirochetes. If she's had Lyme for a while (from what you say, at least 3 weeks) it will take some time for her to fully recover.

I'd keep the vet appointment and ask all your questions.
Also ask the vet if the Antibiotics may make pup feel a bit low, and/or upset her tummy. Most antibiotics can do this.

My brother in law had Lyme this last summer. He was miserable for the first couple of weeks of treatment, and it took him several weeks to regain his full energy.

Hope that helps reassure you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts