Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently adopted a second dog. An 8 month old Chuhuahua (Loki). He's actually a great foil for the near 2 year Pit's (Alfred) energy!

1. On Alfred's solo walks, he is fairly well behaved and walks heel or looser leash for most of it. (A huge improvement if you've read my previous threads). However, if we are within about a block or seeing distance of a yard with a dog he is constantly pulling. Even with a no pull harness (my conclusion for that is it is just EASIER to restrain as opposed to completely discouraging it). On solo walks, if he pulls, I'll pull on the harness until it tightens (he seems to know the difference between his pull and my pull back) and he knows to sit because he's not going anywhere until he does. Unfortunately, more often than not when I loosen that grip and give him the command to keep going, he almost immediately juts forward to a pull again. On his solo walks, this only happens near other dogs. I've tried varying our neighborhood route, but he's becoming smart to the houses from all directions now. I'm looking for him to stop pulling ESPECIALLY when we pass another dog's yard...he would pull to the yard if allowed even if the dog was inside. I've tried some silk leash but never got to the point of focus on me instead of the other dog. I'm torn between him being anti social and ignoring other dogs that we don't bring him up to vs settling for him just looking as we pass without pulling.

2. On Alfred and Loki walks he his far more excited for more of the walk and therefore not as behaved. There is more pulling at all times. I think eventually he gets used Loki being there but that isn't until the tail end of the walk. Does better behavior just come from them walking together or is there another way to get him better behaved faster and easier?

Thanks for the help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.