Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8-week-old puppy is currently eating Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice, which is what he was being fed before. I'd like to switch his food soon. My other dog rotates between Acana, Orijen, and Wellness Core, and I'm really pleased with how she does on them. Are there any drawbacks to feeding a young puppy a high protein food such as Orijen (38%)? Especially considering what he's been eating (28%)? I've also considered Wellness and TOTW's High Prairie Puppy, or even Fromm. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Yes there is an advantage he will gain lean muscle mass instead of fat. Pro plan is junk food in comparison to the 3 you mentioned. I would stay away form the TOTW because there are to many recalls but wellness also falls in that category. The same manufacturing plant makes both.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Depending on his digestion, you could be in for gastro upset, so change over slowly and in the beginning feed less then what you'd expect - example: he eats 4 cups pro plan, feed only 2.5-3 cups orijen and go from there. A lot of people give up on Orijen because the high protein can be rich, but all they need to do is feed a little less. It's all dependant on the dog, not the guidelines.

I took my dog, now 3, from her "breeder/rescue" food of Kirkland to orijen in a little under 2 weeks and haven't really looked too far back from then.

Reactions: linzydd

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I agree with you on the Pro Plan - I just wanted to give him some time to settle in before I switch his food, and when I do, I'll be sure to make the switch slowly. Thanks for the tip about feeding less.

I think I'll go with Orijen as I like what it's done for my 5 y.o. girl but the only reason I ask is because I frequent some pit bull forums (my girl is an ABPT and the puppy is some sort of pit mix) and have seen a lot of posts about puppies knuckling over. So far I have no reason to worry about my puppy knuckling over but people have responded saying that it's due in part to a high protein diet. As long as I'm not overfeeding Orijen, is there anything to worry about?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It's been debunked that protein is the cause of joint/growth issues, though I'm more familiar with labrador concern such as hip dysplasia.

In dogs with growth concerns, like my lab, what you need to be worried about is phosphorus and calcium ratios as excess phos and calc can cause rapid growth which in turn causes issues. You'll be looking for 1.1:1 and 1.5:1 ratios of phos to calc. I believe LG breed pup and Six fish are the only 2 that are correct although Acana (the sister company) has a few others.

As I mentioned I fed my labrador x orijen from a young age and she grew at a very steady rate.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great to know that theory's been disproven! I don't know if this pup will even be considered large in the end, as his mom was 35 lbs and his dad no more than 55, so I'm probably worried about nothing but I'll make sure to check the ratios. Thanks a lot! :p

·
Registered
501 Posts
I started Pax on Orijen and he is solid as a rock and very athletic. I ultimately switched him to Fromm's but that was more due to him having a sensitive stomach and took a while to find a food that worked well for him. Both are great foods.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply! I started adding in a little of the Orijen to his current food and it's easy to see which one he prefers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I started adding in a little of the Orijen to his current food and it's easy to see which one he prefers.

I'm in your boat- breeder started my puppy on a low-rated food and I would like to switch him to Earthborn Holistic. The protein content is MUCH higher and I am worried about thew gastro issues as well. I could totally see my puppy picking out the new stuff and not eating the old stuff anymore, so then how do you transition "slowly" if all they are eating is the new stuff??? Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If the pup doesn't want a transition, but you're still worried about gastro issues with a quick switch you can add either pure canned pumpkin - about a 1 tbsp should do - or fruitables "transition", which is basically pumpkin with other pro bionics/ ingredients that make a transition easier. Fruitables Pet Food - Official Site

·
Registered
12 Posts
VeRus has a puppy formula for small & medium puppies & one for large breed puppies. Small/medium has 26% protein & the large breed has 23% protein. Both are formulated with chicken as the main ingredient. You can request a sample & get a lot of information from their website: Verus Pet Foods - Home
They're very helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts