Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my dog is currently on Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, and I am mostly happy with it. However, he has had periodic GI issues while on it - loose stools, or producing unbelievable amounts to the extent that it has detracted from training once or twice (uncontrollable pooping in the herding ring :mad: ) - and his coat quality could be better. Because I see room for improvement I'm looking to try something new and right now I'm thinking Dr. Tim's, probably Pursuit Active but possibly Momentum. I've heard that probiotics can help with digestion issues, but I'm also leery of buzzwords to a healthy degree. Furthermore I'm on a budget and while it's more expensive than Extreme Athlete it's very reasonably priced and can be ordered via Chewy with free shipping.

I know it's by no means a bad brand (I'm looking forward to buying from a company with more conscientious food sourcing) and pretty highly regarded particularly in the dog sledding community, but still interested in effects people have seen or heard of. I'm also interested in how the drop from 33% protein/25% fat to 30% protein/20% fat (if I try Pursuit first) might impact my dog. He is energetic, highly strung/jittery, has naturally low body fat, and on top of that our dairy goat enterprise is kicking off and shed hunting season starts mid-December for us so he will be working outdoors through the winter. I had trouble keeping good weight on him and helping him to build muscle on foods other than Extreme Athlete so I wonder if just trying Momentum would be best... on the other hand it could be overkill.

Basically feel free to infodump anything you know about this dog food brand/these formulas!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Ive personally never tried this brand but have read up on it a bit after I heard about it. It seems like a good brand. I found out about the brand from a dog youtuber I watch. She feeds her 3 huskies Dr. Tims, and her case the kinesis formula, and there doing good on it. Heres a video of her talking about the brand if your interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCecQ11GR4
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Hopefully some one else has more experience with dr. Tims

Reactions: Liminal

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No worries! Any info is good info like I said, so thanks for the link.

I actually ended up ordering a bag of Pursuit and it came today... might try Momentum next bag and note the differences, then go from there. The formulas are similar enough I wouldn't predict it would disturb his stomach too much.

It's weird but I expected it to be oilier like the Diamond high protein + fat formulas are, it wasn't though. The dog seems to like the taste but then he's not overly picky.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I hope the food works out for you, and you don't need to switch again.

I was actually considering the brand but its a little pricy for me and they don't sell any at stores in my state. So this thread is interesting to read if I ever decide to try the food as well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awkwardest update ever but two days on and his business is conspicuously near-odorless. Also staying solid through the transition. \o/ Geez that makes me happy.

/dog owner being weird

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Im glad this food seems to be working for you. Hopefully your able to completely keep him on it. I wish my endevores to find a food that works for Sawyer would go as well as yours has so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts