Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My first post. I have a pyrenees / maremma mix guardian dog who lives in our barn. He developed ringworm and through constant scratching of his chest, developed a large amount of hanging skin. It got torn and infected so he had surgery to remove it. He tore out his stitches three times and after the last time, the vet said it was no use stitching it again, we would just have to let it heal as best we can. So now he has a large open wound on his chest. The chest muscle healed OK but the skin did not, so the skin is hanging down. You could probably fit a golf ball in there. Per the vet's instructions, we rinse the wound twice a day with Vetericyn spray. But in order to keep the wound clean, we have to keep a t-shirt on him, and use a hunting chest protector to keep him from scratching the wound. This in turn keeps the wound compressed, which the vet did not want. I've dealt with wounds like this on other animals so I know this probably won't heal for several months to a year anyway, but I'm afraid the compression is slowing it down even more.

I'm going to try getting bigger shirts and try to loosen the chest protector (we got the biggest available) to try to let the wound breath a little when he's not laying down. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has a brilliant idea that I haven't thought of. Thanks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Will he keep booties or socks on his hind feet to help others the damage that scratching causes?

Also not sure if your vet is aware or would consider it, but Manuka Honey has been reported as a great therapy for healing those kinds of long term wounds. I've only used it once, on a wound that none of are vet ointments were having much success, once we switched to the honey we started to get significant improvement with the wound. It might be worth discussing with your vet to see if it's an option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to keep the boots on, and he has really big feet and they gave him sores, even with the largest size. Plus even booted he can still pound away at the area.

I will look into the honey. I think he would heal ok if I could just let the wound breathe a bit. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts