Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel REALLY bad for the poor papillion today in class.
Manna wanted to play really bad.

Ok so at the dog park (thunderdome style) I can call her off small dogs. She doesn't rush small dogs on our walks or in people's yards during playdates.

But the second we enter a class setting....well Today Manna pulled me so hard I landed on my stomach and I got dragged about 10' towards a papillion who was scared.

Manna doesn't do this with dogs over ~15 pounds.

The papillion was the instructors dog, it's a PR only class (I've taken previous classes with this school before and loved them) But this instructor likes to get past threshold and rushes dogs back into situations before they calm down. (makes it easy for triggers to stack) She knows the drill but I don't think she understands trigger stacking and from how she treats other dogs in class I don't think she understands not to push fearful dogs either.

This is the first time in 3 years Manna has ever dragged me (second in her life as the last time she was half her size chasing a leaf as a puppy)

I can't even recreate the situation to train past it because:
1)Obvious tiny dog could get hurt
2)I don't have access to the 1 and only place Manna acts like this unless we're taking the class.

I need ideas

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
What kind of class and level is this? What did the trainer tell you?

We've had that happen in classes (mine as well as the other 2 trainers at the facility) before...
Often recommend better management during class and privates to specifically target the problem if outside the scope of the class. If it is in the curriculum or an exercise easily tweeked then we work on it. :)

Management wise we normally encourage heavily reinforcing matwork for all downtime and using food magnets(soft food in a tube or continuous multiple treats from hand - dog's nose never leaves hand) in combo with keeping a very short grip on lead (large dog owners often hold collar) when entering, leaving, and needing to quickly move their dogs are in the room. A couple people tug to move their dogs quickly and efficiently. We have students down (and reward during the stay) their dogs if out on the floor and taking a short break to explain or having the wait for a turn. I have people reward their dogs when others move past, bark, etc. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's CGN prep. Manna passed Obedience classes a few times and we never thought that there would be a problem. We moved 1 room over with a new instrutor and things fall apart.

Manna is fine during her down time. This stuff is happening when being asked to work. The other dogs can get within 5 feet and Manna doesn't bat an eyelash.

The class rooms are the same 50x50 feet and only 5 dogs per class. Though the mirrored walls bug some dogs.

It just odd that I can work Manna in a thunder dome with 50 other strange and not always trained dogs but in a class of 5 all she wants to do is blow me off and play.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
New setting and new dogs. May just be seeing that your training hasnt generalized. Up the rate of reinforcement for now. Pay well for attention on you, and just mangage well. Bet things will be back to normal in no time.:)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.