Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog ate a very small piece of red onion - the size of a small pinky fingernail, if that.

I was eating a salad and it fell out of the bowl onto my lap....my dog is that fast.

I shouldn't let her 'watch me eat.' I know.... :(

I'm worried because onions are bad for dogs. I searched the forum and there's one thread in which some people said if it's only a small amount (one small piece probably counts?), then it should be okay. But, to watch the dog and see how things go? I mean, to watch and make sure she doesn't exhibit any of the behaviors that show 'food poisoning? But, how long would that take?

I am wondering if I should call an emerg vet and ask? It's Sunday today so no vets are open. She really likes to look for scraps, especially outside so I have to watch her all the time when walking or just in general.

Thanks for any quick responses. I hope I'm just being overly worried and panicking but I know I should have been more careful.

I know of the other foods not to let her have - chocolate, grapes etc. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to guard against her being able to get an onion (piece). Just being careless, I guess. I have to be smarter but right now, I'm just worried about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hey Ben. I'm not a vet, but if it were me I wouldn't worry at all. That's such a small amount. Call your vet in the morning if you're panicking but I don't think you should lose any sleep over a small bit of onion.
just my opinion.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
Unless you dog is very, very, tiny one small piece of onion is not likely to do any damage unless he's very, very, sensitive. The phone call to an emergency vet is free and a call will likely set your mind at ease so go ahead and make the call.

FWIW it generally takes a lot, more then say xylitol or anti freeze, of onion to make a dog sick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Ben. I'm not a vet, but if it were me I wouldn't worry at all. That's such a small amount. Call your vet in the morning if you're panicking but I don't think you should lose any sleep over a small bit of onion.
just my opinion.
Yes, that's what I am hearing. I hope that is right. I'll probably still call my own vet in the morning for more peace of mind (well, hopefully).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you dog is very, very, tiny one small piece of onion is not likely to do any damage unless he's very, very, sensitive. The phone call to an emergency vet is free and a call will likely set your mind at ease so go ahead and make the call.

FWIW it generally takes a lot, more then say xylitol or anti freeze, of onion to make a dog sick.
I think she's a similar size to the dog in your profile picture (avatar). Jack Russell mix w/ chihuahua?

The emerg call was...meh. A vet technician talked to me but just told me what I already knew - the info about anemia and symptoms. I also had the option of bringing my dog to induce vomiting for $300.

I was told to watch her the next 24 hrs. I suspect my own vet will tell me to do that, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Unless you dog is very, very, tiny one small piece of onion is not likely to do any damage unless he's very, very, sensitive. The phone call to an emergency vet is free and a call will likely set your mind at ease so go ahead and make the call.

FWIW it generally takes a lot, more then say xylitol or anti freeze, of onion to make a dog sick.
I read about xylitol recently. It's in almost all toothpaste and I posted about this. I don't understand how vets could carry well-known brands but these brands all have xylitol as one of the main ingredients. I guess it's very small but still. Well, maybe I do understand..... :-( $$$$, right? :-/

good plan, and good luck on whatever you decide to do :)
Oh yeah, I forgot to add, that the vet tech. didn't think the small onion piece was large enough to do anything damaging/serious.

Also, I think my dog is not sensitive with respect to eating stuff.... sometimes, I worry because every once in a while she snatches something off the ground. The only time I had a really bad experience with her was when I was stupid and left out a bag of liver treats that she took care of... I might have posted asking 'what can I do?' .... :) I seem to recall....

Anyway, she had dark diarrhea for a short time after but she recovered and was ultimately fine. I believe I did take her to the vet, too. I have been careful since (or try to be) but was a bit careless this time. I forgot onions were bad or I never would have allowed her to sit so close to me or I'd have a better/safer way of having my salad with her nearby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
I read about xylitol recently. It's in almost all toothpaste and I posted about this. I don't understand how vets could carry well-known brands but these brands all have xylitol as one of the main ingredients. I guess it's very small but still. Well, maybe I do understand..... :-( $$$$, right? :-/
Ack! Which dog toothpaste brands have xylitol? Or am I misunderstanding?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Are Onions and Garlic Bad For Dogs? | petMD
From the article:
"“Onion toxicities are consistently noted in animals that ingest more than 0.5% of their body weight in onions at one time.” So, think that one fourth of a cup can make a 20-pound dog sick."

So, the minute piece that you described isn't enough to do any harm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Hi Ben. You sound like a very caring owner. Honestly, I wouldn't worry. I'm actually surprised your dog ate the onion at all. Lol. I had a beagle that used to eat anything & everything she could get to. One of my kids dropped his multivitamin on the floor & she ate that! I called the vet & he said not to worry. So if a dog can eat a vitamin & not get sick, I'm sure a small piece of onion won't hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies.

She has been okay. I'm back to worrying about the toothpaste. :)

I bought a ton of chicken necks and she loves these.

I'm really careful now when I chop up onion or add it to my meals, though.

Her 'scaps' are liver treats and sometimes banana pieces, a few blueberries and the odd carrot stick.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Every dog is different. My beagle used to love carrots. My dog now won't eat them. Lol. Peanut butter is another dog favorite to consider. Bananas & blueberries? Hmm...never tried that.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

She has been okay. I'm back to worrying about the toothpaste. :)

I bought a ton of chicken necks and she loves these.

I'm really careful now when I chop up onion or add it to my meals, though.

Her 'scaps' are liver treats and sometimes banana pieces, a few blueberries and the odd carrot stick.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Glad your boy is O.K.!

Dog toothpaste will not have any xylitol in it, BUT you need to get the toothpaste that's specifically made for dogs. NEVER use human toothpaste on his teeth, not only could it have xylitol in it but the flouride is also toxic if swallowed.

Here's a link to a toothpaste for dogs and cats. They list the ingredients on it so you can take a look at them if you wish. https://www.chewy.com/virbac-cet-enzymatic-dog-cat-poultry/dp/41742
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top