Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I think all dogs are unique...but some are more unique than others. :p ;)

I think, at this moment, I probably own the most unique dog I've ever had - and in my life, I've owned a total of 8 dogs.

The unique dog I have now that tops the others I've own, is my Golden Retriever, HaHa. He totally lives up to his name. He was born slightly retarded, had issues holding down food, so the breeder gave him to the shelter when he was 1 years old. The shelter almost put him to sleep because he was almost starved to death, and had mental issues. But they worked with him and got a little weight on him and found out what a character he was... his name at the shelter was Ruger...like the handgun manufacturer.

I adopted him when he was 2 years old. Fell in love with him almost immediately, he was so dorky looking, packing around a stuffed animal and 'displaying' his toy with little coy head shakes as he trotted around in a circle making 'snuff snuff' sounds through his nose...lol. He was still super thin...and still having issues with throwing up.

The shelter said a lot of people thought his was adorable but no one wanted to adopt him because they didn't know how trainable he would be given his mental shortcomings...and they worried about how they could get weight on him...and in cleaning up after a dog that up-chucked his food more often than not.

I figured I could work around all of that and adopted him, tossed away his old name, as to me there was nothing deadly or tough about this dog that warranted a name like Ruger. And gave him the name HaHa.

Turns out, he was being fed way to much for one feeding... I fed him smaller meals but more often through out the day and he held them down. In 3 months with me he was up to a normal weight for a Golden Retriever with his bone size (medium/smallish compared to some male Goldens).

He is trainable...but forgets stuff like with in a day or two if not told to do it several times a day every day. Sometimes even then, he forgets things...like he'll suddenly look at something he's walked past every day and act like he's never seen it before in his entire life....and he'll study it and stare and pace back and forth and stretch out to sniff at it....etc.. lol.

I took a chance on an 'odd' dog and odd is just another way of saying unique sometimes. : ) He turned out to be a super loveable dog, and he makes me laugh many times through the day...every day.

Stormy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think all dogs are unique...but some are more unique than others. :p ;)

I think, at this moment, I probably own the most unique dog I've ever had - and in my life, I've owned a total of 8 dogs.

The unique dog I have now that tops the others I've own, is my Golden Retriever, HaHa. He totally lives up to his name. He was born slightly retarded, had issues holding down food, so the breeder gave him to the shelter when he was 1 years old. The shelter almost put him to sleep because he was almost starved to death, and had mental issues. But they worked with him and got a little weight on him and found out what a character he was... his name at the shelter was Ruger...like the handgun manufacturer.

I adopted him when he was 2 years old. Fell in love with him almost immediately, he was so dorky looking, packing around a stuffed animal and 'displaying' his toy with little coy head shakes as he trotted around in a circle making 'snuff snuff' sounds through his nose...lol. He was still super thin...and still having issues with throwing up.

The shelter said a lot of people thought his was adorable but no one wanted to adopt him because they didn't know how trainable he would be given his mental shortcomings...and they worried about how they could get weight on him...and in cleaning up after a dog that up-chucked his food more often than not.

I figured I could work around all of that and adopted him, tossed away his old name, as to me there was nothing deadly or tough about this dog that warranted a name like Ruger. And gave him the name HaHa.

Turns out, he was being fed way to much for one feeding... I fed him smaller meals but more often through out the day and he held them down. In 3 months with me he was up to a normal weight for a Golden Retriever with his bone size (medium/smallish compared to some male Goldens).

He is trainable...but forgets stuff like with in a day or two if not told to do it several times a day every day. Sometimes even then, he forgets things...like he'll suddenly look at something he's walked past every day and act like he's never seen it before in his entire life....and he'll study it and stare and pace back and forth and stretch out to sniff at it....etc.. lol.

I took a chance on an 'odd' dog and odd is just another way of saying unique sometimes. : ) He turned out to be a super loveable dog, and he makes me laugh many times through the day...every day.

Stormy
This is so amazing! As I was reading it, I was able to picture this little dog, who just wants a family and a home, and you were the one who made this possible. There is a saying that maybe a dog just apart of you whole life, but to them you are their whole life. I couldn't agree more.. Many think "oh they are just animals', in reality they are family! I grew up with this dog name Butterfly, and she was my very very best friend.. she was family. I am so glad I was able to learn more about you and your baby, through this post.. amazing :)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Zody is my Chi x Dach, he'll be 3 in January, and he knows how to communicate, unfortunately what he usually wants is treats or food.

Reactions: StormyPeak

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
haha I think that is how all of them are :) willing to do anything for a treat or food
Yeah but he'll sit there and stare at me, then at the cupboard, he'll go sit in the kitchen and if I don't go see where he went, and comes and stares at me. He'll make pitiful noises if I stop petting or scratching him and he wants me to keep it up. He just does little things like that to let me know what he wants.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Skipper has a phobia of any kind of hard indoor flooring. Tile, wood, etc. However he is perfectly fine with ANY surface outside; even the same tile he's frightened of indoors. He will jump on and off of anything, even vertical surfaces or unstable surfaces.

Quenya is almost surrealy the movie-picture of a perfect dog. She is athletic, whipsmart, playful, charming, loyal and obedient, friendly to all creatures (except very small rodents) and humans of all sizes and shapes. She can hike off leash for miles and spend her day in my classroom of kindergartners teaching them about dog behavior equally well and with enthusiasm. Her nickname around here is Lassie.

Victoria is a total dog play moderator. If we go to the park or if Skipper and Quenya are playing at home and she deems behavior getting too rough she will run over with a snarl, jump into the middle of the two dogs to break them up, and then run away to get them to chase her and stop their playing together. If they don't follow her the first time she'll do it again. Once they split up she runs back to me (her chosen place when she isn't in moderating action).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Betsy is terrified of people sneezing! Although, I'm not sure that's totally unique as I think I've had a conversation on here before with folks who's dogs also hate sneezers.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Kasper's unique fact: he used to resource guard anything he was able to get his paws on (like an empty treat packet he stole off a table) but now he will bring them to me and pass 'em over with no issue :)

Zoey's unique fact: she was very skinny right up until now (she'll be three next month) when we've finally hit a good weight. At 1.5 years old she was 11kg, at 2 years old she was 12kg and now she is 15kg!! :D

Raiden's unique fact: he has a tiny white blob on his chest that is almost a perfect circle, and is the only white on him. It's how we could tell him apart from all the other pups in the litter, as they had much larger white splodges.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Busters fun facts:

Unlike many Collies he doesn't really have any issues which is great. However he has an uneasy relationship with one thing in particular, ice cube trays. He hates the noise and whines whenever my dad brings them out. But not when I do it.

Up until I became a Dog Walker he had never played with another dog before, always super friendly but never properly played. Until the day I took him to meet my clients German Shepherd. All of a sudden he started play bowing and trying to initiate a game of chase and the rest is history.

He's now the ambassador for my Dog Walking business and comes out working with me everyday and plays with all the dogs I walk :) such a beautiful thing to see.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Busters fun facts:

Unlike many Collies he doesn't really have any issues which is great. However he has an uneasy relationship with one thing in particular, ice cube trays. He hates the noise and whines whenever my dad brings them out. But not when I do it.

Up until I became a Dog Walker he had never played with another dog before, always super friendly but never properly played. Until the day I took him to meet my clients German Shepherd. All of a sudden he started play bowing and trying to initiate a game of chase and the rest is history.

He's now the ambassador for my Dog Walking business and comes out working with me everyday and plays with all the dogs I walk :) such a beautiful thing to see.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I forgot to mention...

HaHa's head is a little weird looking due to his birth defects...his head is a little smallish, his eyes are kind of wonky, and his muzzle isn't as long as it should be...but...to make up for all of that...lol...

HaHa has an upside down heart on the tip of his tongue. : )

I wish I could get a better photo of it (my camera is broke, and my kindle takes horrible photos).

Here, though, you can see most of it pretty good, but when his tongue is out a little more the heart really shows up quite well. Again, it's upside down - the pointy part of the heart is pointing to the inside of his mouth and the rounded part is near his teeth.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Mia is the sweetest, gentlest dog I've ever known. When she finds something like a toad or caterpillar she'll lie down and watch it, occasionally nudging it with her nose. When she finds a baby bird out of its nest she gets so upset and will look for a person to lead to it for help. She loves babies too and gets very upset when they cry.

Delilah is a spaz and she screams when she gets excited or frustrated. I was giving Mia a bath with the hose and I had tied Delilah to the car so she wouldn't try to attack the water during Mia's bath and she was screaming so badly that my mom ran outside thinking she had gotten hit by a car or something. Delilah's the worst with moving water like hoses, waves, and fountains but will also scream at toys, plastic bags in the wind, vacuums, etc.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have never ever heard Alva howl. She can bark and whine, but no howls. I can imitate howling and make my parents' two dogs houwl and whine but Alva just barks madly. She rarely growls other than that playful little growl she makes when she tugs a toy. I was actually happy when I saw her snarling at another dog instead of just snapping at it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Betsy is terrified of people sneezing! Although, I'm not sure that's totally unique as I think I've had a conversation on here before with folks who's dogs also hate sneezers.
That is very strange.. have you had her since she was a baby? If not, maybe some bad experience?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Betsy was about 4 when we adopted her, we have no background on her, so it's possible the sound is like someone shouting at her!!? :( I have been known to leave the room if I feel a sneeze coming on :rolleyes:
@StormyPeak I think HaHa is absolutely beautiful!! His face is full of character, he is unique!! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Asha doesn't like dogs barking at her through fences, so on our walk she has worked out where all the dogs live and will sit down on the curb just before their yards so we can cross the street.

Reactions: StormyPeak

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Betsy was about 4 when we adopted her, we have no background on her, so it's possible the sound is like someone shouting at her!!? :( I have been known to leave the room if I feel a sneeze coming on :rolleyes:
@StormyPeak I think HaHa is absolutely beautiful!! His face is full of character, he is unique!! :)
I have a cat that I try to get off of me before I sneeze...I learned the hard way how a cat can instantly turn into a weed eater via the magic of a sneeze...my other cat...barely flinches. So, I think something in their various backgrounds did something to make them react the way they do.

But animals....cats and dogs, have such various personalities that it might just be that some are a bit more high strung than others. I know my first cat was abused by former owners, thus I believe that is the reason, but in general I tend to think it's instinctive reactions...some have it and some dont'.

Thanks for the kind words about HaHa - sometimes I look at him and the angle is just right and he has a petite but beautiful head...other times I look at him and he just looks like a dork...lol...he gets some goofy looks going on sometimes - I call them 'his clown faces'. He really does make me laugh on a daily basis...usually several times a day between his looks and his antics.

: )

Stormy

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
One of my cats (the one in my avatar who is totally in love with Betsy :D) was a feral kitten, my daughter & I chose her from the rescue because she had a shorter, slightly deformed tail, like the end had been chopped off. We love her all the more because of it. It impedes her balance a little, but other than that she's fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts