Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents' dog -- a lab-terrier mix, 5-6 years old -- has had his left-rear outside toenail rip off two or three times over the last year or two due to standard running/playing/walking (not excessive physical activity).

The vet says that genetically this dog's toe is bad in the sense that the nail will always grow in a way that allows this injury to happen, and he recommended having the toe removed.

I was curious if there are any non-surgical ways to prevent the toenail from ripping, as I assume toe removal isn't necessarily good for the dog (although it may be the best choice between two negative outcomes).

Are there boots for active dogs, or individual toe guards, or anything like that? Anyone have experience with repeated toenail loss?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Either boots, or perhaps look into getting the nail removed entirely from the nailbed (not the whole toe). Unless the toe is REALLY long, it would probably be good to keep as much of it as possible, as toes do to a large extent grant stability while walking. Maybe get a second opinion from another vet, or even see if you can get an orthopedic vet's take on the matter, just to verify the costs and benefits to the dog's gait if you take the whole toe out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured I'd give an update in case anyone comes across this topic in the future or on Google.

We did indeed get the toe surgically removed not long after I posted here, almost two years ago. It was pricey, around $600, but it has worked out great for us and the dog. He no longer has issues with an toenails and can go on long walks without any issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts